Intake Manifold Silencer Insulation Kit

Reaction score
Hello,

When I was searching for some parts I came across this Intake Manifold Insulation Kit. Is it mandatory to have this insulation kit installed or not? A couple of months ago, when I renewed the Manifold sealing’s, I discovered some insulation you normally use to insulate your home with. I removed this insulation, not knowing specific Intake Manifold Insulation exists.
Big Block Intake Manifold Insulation Dodge Plymouth Mopar

I own a 72 Imperial LeBaron 2-dr hardtop.

Thank you,
Patrick Slegers
Braambessenstraat 46 | 2400 Mol | Belgium
slegers.patrick@telenet.be | +32478235996

They are not necessary, but since it is on an Imperial, you may consider it for the sound damping. Otherwise it is fine to run without it.

Mine has it, the intake has never been off the motor. This pic dosen't show it but it is there.

IMG_3874.JPG

The idea is that cars in hotter climes need it to stop the gasoline from vaporizing in the carburetor. I replaced mine in my car for originality and used a sheet of aluminum foil from the kitchen and some house insulation to make a new one. Easy to do and costs no money.

As far as "insulation" goes, I don't see that it insulates a lot of anything. Being not wrapped around something, but just stuffed between and blocking normal air circulation in the process.

One thine I read years ago was that it kept the valley pan from vibrating (harmonics, rather than visibly vibrating) and flexing . . . and breaking from those situations. It might help dampen any noises coming from the engine's lifter valley area, too.

As for the carburetor issues, the foil and insulation will keep the exhaust heat crossover (in the bottom of the intake manifold) heat from dissipating into the atmosphere. The only path the heat could take is, naturally, upward . . . which is where the carburetor is . . . via the intake manifold the carb is mounted onto.

Keeping the exhaust heat crossover open is necessary for the divorced automatic choke operation.

In earlier times, we just stuffed it back where it came from when the intake manifold was removed. I bought some new ones from Chrysler Parts about 40 years ago. They looked rumpled right out of the box. As noted, HD aluminum foil and some yellow fiberglass building insulation.

CBODY67

I always thought the main reason for the insulator was to help deaden lifter noise. Even Mopar called it a Valve Tappet Noise Reduction Silencer Package. Heat insulation was secondary.

"Lifter noise" would not be that much, I suspect, with hyd lifters.

In modern times, we could use some "panel deadening strips", applied to the valley pan itself, spray some white or silver paint on the bottom side of the intake manifold, and maybe add an aux electric fan for the radiator to run after the engine stops. Leaving the air space under the intake open for air circulation, not unlike some aftermarket manifolds to.

CBODY67

Back