K members

McPherson 57

Reaction score
Could anyone tell me if the K member from a 77 Newport or a c body of that vintage would bolt into a 73 c body. I found a 77 big block car that I was hoping to use to turn my 73 into a big block.

Totally different animal and has no comparability at all, in 74 they changed the platform dramatically. For your car you will have to stick to 71 to 73 c body.
Also, small block and big block cars use the same sub frame, the engine mounts are not different.

I believe these guys are correct, you don't need to change your k-member to install a big block. Besides, the "obvious" engine/transmission you will need a different length driveshaft, "probably" some kick-down linkage & throttle linkage changes, minor wiring changes.....some small stuff too I can't think of.

Totally different animal and has no comparability at all, in 74 they changed the platform dramatically. For your car you will have to stick to 71 to 73 c body.
Also, small block and big block cars use the same sub frame, the engine mounts are not different.
Thanks for the heads up!

Jump in and assist with the specifics, but a 73 C body has a completely welded "stub frame". It's one piece...no "K frame" to unbolt or change when swapping different sized engines. The only difference that I'm aware of, is that the Imperial stub frame is 3 inches longer.
I'm a relative newbie in the C body world but that's what I've learned in the past year or so. Please correct me or add to this information.
Rigid Mount drawing.jpg

Last edited:
Jump in and assist with the specifics, but a 73 C body has a completely welded "stub frame". It's one piece...no "K frame" to unbolt or change when swapping different sized engines. The only difference that I'm aware of, is that the Imperial stub frame is 3 inches longer.
I'm a relative newbie in the C body world but that's what I've learned in the past year or so. Please correct me or add to this information.View attachment 240241

They (Imps) had the rubber isolators on the chassis prior to 71, when lesser makes got them for the first time. Touching the subject, Imperials´ had also heftier steering axles, longer torsion bars (obvious), etc.

Interesting that the whole difference in wheel base from lesser models was all from the cowl forward on the fusies.

Actually (73 in question) Chryslers have 1.6 cubic feet more trunk space than 2dr Imperials, which have 1.9 CF more than 4dr Imps.

73-Imperial_0003.jpg

73-New-Yorkers_Newports_0003.jpg

Back