May need to sell our 71 300

hanks71440

Reaction score
Need to know from all of you what you think it is worth. The story and pics of the car are on the forum Late Model cbodies - Formal Years and the thread is titled The Story of my 1971 Chrysler 300. :(

Thanks to all

I just read your story about your 300. I was feeling a bit emotional after, sharing our stories keeps our cars and friends in our hearts. Thank You.

I do bot know where you live or what shows you attend, but i would travel a long way just to see your 300 and hear more about the story.
John
Wisconsin

I truly hope it doesn't get sold to a flipper and comes up on eBay for 20k a couple of weeks later ..

Need to know from all of you what you think it is worth. The story and pics of the car are on the forum Late Model cbodies - Formal Years and the thread is titled The Story of my 1971 Chrysler 300. :(

Thanks to all

Hank: As I look at your '71 300, it appears that it is a very low-option car. Please correct me, if I'm wrong, but it does not appear to have power steering, A/C or power windows. The lack of just these three options pulls the price down by about 18% (according to Collector Car Market - CCM). And its not a TNT option car, which would add ten percent to it's value. I know the car is all original, other wise, and it appears to be in #2 condition. There may be people who would pay a lot more, but CCM thinks its worth around $8000. I think it should go for a coupla grand more, but that's just me, because I like Fusey 300s.

Hank: As I look at your '71 300, it appears that it is a very low-option car. Please correct me, if I'm wrong, but it does not appear to have power steering, A/C or power windows. The lack of just these three options pulls the price down by about 18% (according to Collector Car Market - CCM). And its not a TNT option car, which would add ten percent to it's value. I know the car is all original, other wise, and it appears to be in #2 condition. There may be people who would pay a lot more, but CCM thinks its worth around $8000. I think it should go for a coupla grand more, but that's just me, because I like Fusey 300s.

I think 8000$ is too low, it's a true survivor with complete history AND it's triple black with bucket seats and console..
I think for many people that's worth way more than a/c power windows and steering ..

Maybe it's just me, I would rather sweat my *** off in a triple black, than ride smoothly in a triple pickle :lol:

I think 8000$ is too low, it's a true survivor with complete history AND it's triple black with bucket seats and console..
I think for many people that's worth way more than a/c power windows and steering ..

Maybe it's just me, I would rather sweat my *** off in a triple black, than ride smoothly in a triple pickle :lol:

I think it's a little low too. But if I bought it, the first thing I'd do is put power steering on it.

I think it's a little low too. But if I bought it, the first thing I'd do is put power steering on it.

1382100_556311894439749_94320442_n.jpg

Great car, great story. I wouldn't let it go for less than 10K but I don't know your situation. Hopefully you can hold out for someone worthy of it.

Awesome car with a great story, it's too bad you need to sell. I'd pay 8k easy for that, no A/C or power steering or windows needed. Hold out for 10k, it's worth it, imo.

The car has power steering. It's hidden in the shadows, but you can see the P/S pump and hose.

It is destined for Europe. It already looks 3/4 of the way to how many of them prefer them - performance aftermarket wheels, black wall tires and no a/c. Because many of the European buyers do not have a historical connection to these cars, they end up trying to come off as large performance cars after they get them in their possession. The folks in Europe hardly ever need a/c, and it is just a nuisance to them and adds unnecessary weight to their big performance ride. I believe you could sell it over there at a decent price based on it being a low miles, rust free nice example of the 300 with the bucket seats/console and without a/c.

I do have a historical connection to these cars and was working for Chrysler for 2 years already in central engineering in Highland Park at the time when this model came out of the Jefferson assembly plant. These cars were designed to be sporty luxury cars not luxury sports cars. They performed well for their time and expectations, but the emphasis was on a quiet interior and a smooth ride. While they did handle a little better than their competition at the time, they are considered ungainly and slow at best compared to real performance cars at the time or especially today when 4 cylinder turbos will clean their clock. They were almost always produced with white walls, and if you wanted an upgrade, you also bought the road wheels.

Yes, there were Hursts, and Sport Fury GTs, but they never sold all that well as the public then saw them for what they really were, and especially the Hurst was just an appearance package compared to a regular 300. And even the road tests with the Sport Fury GT with the 6 bbl engine got less than enthusiastic reviews because they really didn't perform all that much better than the 440HP 4 bbl cars. The Sport Fury looked great though, and at least had raised white letter tires, as did the more gaudy Hurst which also came standard with the road wheels.

Since I do have a historical connection with the cars, I prefer the white walls, road wheels and enjoy the smooth and quite ride and elegant look of the originals. Much of the appeal of these cars to me is their link with the past when times were better than today IMO, when people treated one another much better and had a lot more integrity.

70 300 #1 (4) - Copy.jpg
70 300 #2 (2) - Copy (1).jpg

Last edited:
...."when people treated one another much better, and had more integrity".......

How true Steve,....well said.

Let's build a time machine,...or better yet, let's help make a positive change in the world, based on mutual respect and integrity.

Steve, I agree with what you´re saying. The point is most people in the US classic car community are born
in the 1960s or afterwards.. so when those cars were built, most people
were children or not even born ( just like me ) so a connection to these cars like you have doesn´t exist ..
that´s my way to explain why many prefer the sportscar-look with black steelies and white letter tires.
besides, browsing through craigslist brings up tons of classic cars sporting 20" rims and horrible interior... so it´s
not just us over here screwing up these beautiful classic cars:D:D

me personally, I prefer them all original, I would just change the wheels to rallye road wheels and drive the
this 300 exactly the way it is, but I´m a stranger anyways at the age of 28 located in Germany, I´m supposed
to brag around in an AMG or BMW with the music banging all over the street I guess :rolleyes:

I truly hope you're able to arrange to keep it, and get past whatever it is that's making you think about selling it. Are you losing storage? Financial woes?

Great looking car. Hope you can find a way to keep her. Your choice on letting us know the reasons why - maybe we can help as many of us have been through tough things in our life and may have some ideas. Wish I had $10k and garage space.

Back