Molded carpet

Dixon

Reaction score
Greetings C Body gurus. I am planning to install new molded carpet in our 1965 Newport wagon this fall. The vendor (Stock Interiors) does not list carpet for wagons. Just 2 door and 4 door. My question is: Does anyone know if the floor pan contours, driveshaft hump, foot wells, etc. for a 4 door, in the primary passenger area (front and rear seat area) the same for wagons? I will do the rear cargo area (no third seat) with carpet by the yard. I will probably call them as well but trust you folks for these type questions. Thank you,

I do believe the front and rear floors are the same for sedans and wagons. The difference would be from behind the rear seat to the back of the car.

A station wagon’s rear seat is narrower than a 4 door. You need to order carpet with a longer “tail” as the carpet from a 4 door won’t go back far enough to cover the area where the rear seat back hinges mount to the floor.

An ACC brand carpet is the best choice for carpet. Look at the post last week on carpet, in particular Big John’s reply.

I do believe the front and rear floors are the same for sedans and wagons. The difference would be from behind the rear seat to the back of the car.

They’re different & on Plymouth Fury based C Body wagons the wheelbase is longer than a 4 door, which is not an issue for the poster’ since he has a Chrysler wagon.

I ordered mine with Stock interiors, asked for a 4 door 68 Fury not seized carpet, to have some extra material below the rear seat, to be used at the sides of that seat. Fits nice, not perfect, maybe because the guy who installed the carpet didn't do a good job.

WhatsApp Image 2023-08-31 at 09.56.24.jpeg

I ordered mine with Stock interiors, asked for a 4 door 68 Fury not seized carpet, to have some extra material below the rear seat, to be used at the sides of that seat. Fits nice, not perfect, maybe because the guy who installed the carpet didn't do a good job.

View attachment 620316
Great. Thanks. Looks good from my house. I'd bet you're the only person who notices. As I tell folks our car is a 10 footer. It looks great from 10 feet away.

A station wagon’s rear seat is narrower than a 4 door. You need to order carpet with a longer “tail” as the carpet from a 4 door won’t go back far enough to cover the area where the rear seat back hinges mount to the floor.

They’re different & on Plymouth Fury based C Body wagons the wheelbase is longer than a 4 door, which is not an issue for the poster’ since he has a Chrysler wagon.
Learn something new here almost everyday! Thanks for the info Bill. Hey Dixon, if you can, post a pic of your wagon. We loves pics here.

i've been confused about this stuff myself...it appears ACC makes all the moulded carpet...and they list their stuff as not fitting convertibles ( there's a little extra tab of carpet on each side of the rear seat that sedans don't have ...and your wagon would have the same issue)... from the research i'm trying to do, it seems like you need to buy the carpet from certain vendors that have the ability to get ACC to make the carpet longer for them...and of course their prices are higher than if you just price shop ACC on EBay...but having not actually bought any carpet yet i could be wrong...

i've been confused about this stuff myself...it appears ACC makes all the moulded carpet...and they list their stuff as not fitting convertibles ( there's a little extra tab of carpet on each side of the rear seat that sedans don't have ...and your wagon would have the same issue)... from the research i'm trying to do, it seems like you need to buy the carpet from certain vendors that have the ability to get ACC to make the carpet longer for them...and of course their prices are higher than if you just price shop ACC on EBay...but having not actually bought any carpet yet i could be wrong...
Thanks for the info.

it appears ACC makes all the moulded carpet
That's correct.

There was another vendor, Trim Parts, that was making molded carpet and was my preferred source as they had the right carpet for the convertibles AND they weren't stingy with the extra to trim off. The carpet they used was exactly the same as apparently both companies used the same supplier.

ACC bought out Trim Parts, and that was that.

All Chrysler wagons then used the 121" wheelbase shared with Plymouth and Dodge wagons versus the 124" for other Chrysler models. I suspect you will have more carpet than you need.
Mark

I used 4dr carpet for my 64 and fit no problem. I just got some extra carpet for the rear foot well for the 3rd seat.

DSC02213.jpgPicture 016.jpg

Thanks to all who have offered help here. I called Stock Interiors and the associate feels the 4 door carpet will work. In fact, if their on-line photos are representative of the product I think I will have plenty to cover the areas. I have ordered it and when I get to doing the job I will try to remember to take photos and chronicle my success and/or pit falls so the next person will have even more info. Stay tuned.

Thanks to all who have offered help here. I called Stock Interiors and the associate feels the 4 door carpet will work. In fact, if their on-line photos are representative of the product I think I will have plenty to cover the areas. I have ordered it and when I get to doing the job I will try to remember to take photos and chronicle my success and/or pit falls so the next person will have even more info. Stay tuned.
So, the close the loop on this I got the carpet install completed today. The molded carpet fir like a glove. I did have to cut a piece about 3"x6" from under the rear seat for each side where the folding seat doesn't go all the way to the body panels. A little spray adhesive and those pieces are there to stay. Thanks all,

NewFrontCarpet.JPG

NewRearCarpet.JPG

Sideofrearseat.JPG

Back