Mopar ICM upgrade

josehf34

Reaction score
My new ICM is starting to giving me some problems so I think is going bad (chinese crap doesn't las 40 years as the original ICM that the car had when I bought it :rolleyes: )

So I was thinking, could be there a good improvement in ignition with the OEM style distributor? I checked Pertronix ignitor II and ignitor III but it seems to be that is only compatible with points removal application

Any recommendation or the OEM style ICM is the unique option?

I've used a MSD ignition on three cars and was very happy with it. It's a capicitive discharge ignition that fires the coil multiple times each time. It will fire a fouled plug. You want to be sure to use the correct coil and the rest of the ignition system has to be 100%. It also may not be as reliable as the OEM system, but I can't address that as my systems worked flawlessly. The A12 I used to own still has the MSD I installed 25 years ago and it's still working great for its present owner.

That said, the OEM ignition works very well, is very reliable and doesn't break your budget. Quite honestly, I wouldn't change unless you really feel the need to.

I've used a MSD ignition on three cars and was very happy with it. It's a capicitive discharge ignition that fires the coil multiple times each time. It will fire a fouled plug. You want to be sure to use the correct coil and the rest of the ignition system has to be 100%. It also may not be as reliable as the OEM system, but I can't address that as my systems worked flawlessly. The A12 I used to own still has the MSD I installed 25 years ago and it's still working great for its present owner.

That said, the OEM ignition works very well, is very reliable and doesn't break your budget. Quite honestly, I wouldn't change unless you really feel the need to.

An MSD 6AL box will cost too much just for a simple ICM upgrade for a new ignition system (I'm running a brand new spectra premium dist and 45000 V pertronix coil)

What about using a GM HEI ignition 4 pin module? I've read that is compatible with OEM style electronic mopar distributors and are very reliable too

Oh... and you can increase the spark plug gap to .045" too.

I think I'm going to try with the HEI module and see what happens :D

Back