need new seatbelts..

68Bigred

Reaction score
Hoping someone can help me out. In the process of putting new interior in my 68 300 convertible. I can't seem to find all the seatbelts. Is it one of those things no one makes? Is the b body belts any different? Also I have bucket seats. I was cleaning up the old ones but they don't seem to catch no matter how quick I pull on them. In the event if I did have an accident I would want them to work. Looked at legendary and pg classic. Pg just has for b body. Any help would be great! She goes in Monday for the new top. I have it here looks great. Just waiting on the seat covers. I just would want known good belts that match the new seats.

The belts don't work like the ones in new cars. They don't have the inertia reel setup that lets the belt "catch" when they are pulled hard.

You pull them all the way out and take up the slack with the adjustment on the other belt.

1968 didn't have ratcheting seatbelts. They just retract.

Thanks all. I pulled the plastic casing down and all the springs are there. Maybe it just how they are. Just going to clean them real well and just put back in. Few days ago sadly I was first on seen to a car that spun out and hit a telephone pole and the passenger was killed. I was taking her pulse as she died. Her neck was severely broken and she was pinned in the car. Just a bit paranoid about seat belts. I may have my interior shop figure how to put racing harnesses in my 300. No I don't race it but would be nice to have belts that will keep me/passenger in the car or hitting dashboard in the event of a wreck. Has me a bit messed up in the head last few days. Anyway will post pic of the new interior when done.

I removed my post because the info doesn't apply to his convertible.

Last edited:
The issue with his car is its a convertible. There's no spot to my knowledge to install a shoulder belt harness. I have a good set of 68 seat belts from a c body with factory shoulder belts.

Oops... Missed the convertible part.... Sorry for any confusion I caused.

You don't want a shoulder harness of any kind then. Think "upside down".

Yep, I think 71 was the first year for ratcheting belts. My 70 300 doesn't have them.

Both of my 69 Polara and the 69 Polara parts car all had ratcheting front belts with slip fit shoulder belts that can be stowed above the door.

Alan

My 70 vert has the original seat belts. You can tell by the E-body style buckle and they do not ratchet.

MY 68 NY and my Dad's 68 300 definitely didn't ratchet.

Honestly I can't remember if my 70 SFGT had the ratcheting belts or not. I do remember having them in my 73 Barracuda and my 73 NYB.

The dozen or so 68-69 B-bodies I had didn't have them either.

So that might have been a 69 up C-body belt and then not in the convertibles.

The convertibles didn't need the shoulder belt tab that was attached to the lap belt.
The parts book does list a different number for the convertible but makes no reference to the ratchet.

Alan

This seat belt issue has intrigued me somewhat, too. I've bee looking for a retractable, but original looking belts for a 2 door Fusie coupe. The nearest that I have found are these B-body items: http://www.morrisclassicconcepts.com/gtxroadrunner68-72.html

Yes, they say they are not one size fits all. But I suppose if they can make them for a B-body, they can make them for a C-body, too. I would give them a call.

Back