New Member, New Polara

It is under a lift. I could ratchet strap the roof rack across the lift to take the weight while i remove the angle iron. The actual weight is borne by the rockers, the jacks are just there to keep everything square.

Terrible idea but all too plausible...

Also looking at the donor that angle iron is not factory but replacing a stamping doing the same thing. Based on the other repairs, one wonders what horrors lurk in there also.
Some sort of support from above may be the ticket.

IMG_8690.jpg

Hung the car from the lift using ratchet straps. The load is very light, it's just to keep everything square.

Not sure this is what the engineers had in mind when designing the roof rack but i appreciate it regardless.

Cutting out the last of the floor now, the seam it welds too looks pretty healthy which was a big worry. Biggest problem is just getting a grinder and drill in there now.

IMG_8707.jpg

IMG_8706.jpg

Fighting the last of the floor weld by weld.

Sill looks healthy although someone filled some pinholes from the top with bondo. Strange.

Probably going to weld the floor in first and then cut the top of the sill and patch it later from above. I don't know how tight it is to the bottom of the tailgate now.

Also found a bunch of cherry pits in the frame in a sealed up box section, not even room enough for a mouse to get in. 60 year old cherry pits from some worker in Windsor? Who knows!

View attachment 657771

View attachment 657772

Fighting the last of the floor weld by weld.

Sill looks healthy although someone filled some pinholes from the top with bondo. Strange.

Probably going to weld the floor in first and then cut the top of the sill and patch it later from above. I don't know how tight it is to the bottom of the tailgate now.

Also found a bunch of cherry pits in the frame in a sealed up box section, not even room enough for a mouse to get in. 60 year old cherry pits from some worker in Windsor? Who knows!
Sempre Adelante! Good work!

Further dispatches from mopar hell.

I'm not sure if i should cut all this out and replace it with the proper drip panel from the donor. At this point the angle iron is the primary structural elementof the tail and it doubtless requires taking the tailgate off which I can't do until everything else is done. I guess either way I'd be doing it from the top later. Guess I can kick that can down the road for a while...

Grandpa had better fuckin appreciate all this.

Further dispatches from mopar hell.

I'm not sure if i should cut all this out and replace it with the proper drip panel from the donor. At this point the angle iron is the primary structural elementof the tail and it doubtless requires taking the tailgate off which I can't do until everything else is done. I guess either way I'd be doing it from the top later. Guess I can kick that can down the road for a while...

Grandpa had better fuckin appreciate all this.

Think about it. My money is on you doing the next right thing.

Think about it. My money is on you doing the next right thing.

Yeah I just can't pull it apart until the floor is in as that angle iron is all that's holding it together. I also can't risk cutting through it into the tailgate above. What exactly i'll be welding the floor to, i'm not sure. Depends on if i can save the donor's drip rail stamping i guess, it's pretty rough as it is.

Back