No ignition, no spark and coil very hot

josehf34

Reaction score
I've an ignition problem in my ´74 fury 360SB and I think is some kind of short.

Some days ago I replaced my aftermarket ignition and distributor with a mopar OEM ICU, and mopar OEM distributor by spectra premium and also used a brand new pertronix flamethrower coil and brand new ballast resistor.

My problem is when I put the ign key on "run" position even with the engine not running the coil turns REALLY hot very quick, even sometimes the carburetor's choke turns hot too and I can see a huge drag of current on my ammeter and also my battery gets discharged really quick

Also If I disconnect the battery, put the ign key on "run" position, put a spark tester in the ignition wires and then connect the battery I can see the spark tester fires one time.

This problem is intermittent but when is present I loose the spark while cranking (no spark even with the spark tester) so I don't have ignition :( but when turn the key in the previous position of run (i think is ST) the spark tester fires one time but I don't have idea why is having this behavior

Any idea where should I start looking?

Last edited:
The ground side of the coil is the switching side... sounds like yours is getting shorted to ground somewhere... Start by checking your wires...

The ground side of the coil is the switching side... sounds like yours is getting shorted to ground somewhere... Start by checking your wires...

If the new ICM is bad, can cause a ground problem on the coil? I ask this because If I'm right the ignition coil ground wire is directly wired from ICM

If the new ICM is bad, can cause a ground problem on the coil? I ask this because If I'm right the ignition coil ground wire is directly wired from ICM

Sure, the short to ground could be there... but it is far more likely to be a cracked wire insulation or rubbed wire IMO...

Back