PolaraTrailerDS2.jpg
PolaraDS1.jpg
EC1.jpg
Bot5.jpg
Bot1.jpg
Int4.jpg
Top1.JPG
Top2.JPG
Purchased a 68 Polara Convertible 383 727 in September and it has been on my car trailer since I brought it home. Probably won’t get it in the garage until late Jan or Feb.

Outside its pretty solid, only areas that need replaced are the lower quarters and the trunk extensions. The floors and rails are better than I anticipated and the previous owner did a good job of cleaning them up and painting them and as you can see he really liked orange. And the owner before him cut a huge hole in the hood (oops) and most of the wiring has been removed from under the hood. Everything for the outside came with the car, but much was disassembled.

The interior: previous owner gutted the interior, most everything is there, and for what isn’t I will have to scrounge or drive to Tiffin, Ohio to retrieve. The power windows and top all work so nothing major in those areas, dash panel is decent, pad has 1 crack in the middle (would like to remove and recover, but not take the windshield out, I don’t know if that is possible), front seat is missing (will go with buckets and console anyway), rear seat is there but needs recovered, all trim panels are with the car but show their age. The top was replaced at some point and is a thin vinyl like material (not what I would prefer, but it will do for now to keep the water out), the boot is missing, and the plexiglas rear window is yellow (not from a fancy tint job) and hazy.

The original 383 is gone, but I did get a 67 383 short block and everything to put it together, and probably the 727 that came in the car. Also a 76 440 complete with a 727 attached to it that he took out of a motor home. At this point I have about $1600 invested, 1250 for the car and parts, and 350 to get it all home. Not bad for 2 complete engines and trans and the complete car.

My plan is to copy a frame connector I have pics of, then remove the front clip and frame to clean and paint inside and out, then work cleaning up the bottom from the firewall back. That’s the short plan, should take me to late spring or longer.

Arnold

Hello from Minnesota. Nice project, sounds like you have a good plan of attack for the car.

Welcome...

The car came from Tiffin? I didn't think there were any C bodies left available in Ohio

I don't think the car came from tiffen, I think he meant he had to go to the stash in tiffen.

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome, I have been watching the site for a while and knew everyone would be welcoming and helpful. Great cast of characters hope I can add to the fun.
And no I purchased off of eBay, car is from Indiana. I have been to Tiffin a few times, so I kind of know where Murray Park has his yard.
In case you were wondering the "It Ain't Just Paint" is from the '80's Mopar used it to advertise the Shelby Charger.

Welcome aboard.
Is your Polara coded GG dark green, white interior and a black top? That would be a sweet combo if it was!
The first manual trans car I drove was a friends black Shelby Charger..........and I never stalled it.
It Ain't Just Paint.jpg

I will add the fender tag pic later, I am not able to get to pics now. But I think the original top was green also, yes you are correct on green with white, but I won't do a white interior, not a color I like for interiors.
And yes I had a maroon and silver 84 Shelby, it was a blast to drive! It would only go 120 but it for a 4 banger 5 speed it was pretty quick. Mine had some engine work done, and could keep my friends gm and fords behind me most of the time, and it got 30mpg at 70mph!

Welcome to the site from the Motor City!

Here is the fender tag:
PolaraTag13.jpg

And this is how this site ( 1967-1968 Mopar Fender Tag Decoder, Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth )decoded it
CAR: Dodge Polara 2 Door Convertible
ENGINE: 383cid 2-bbl V8
TRANSMISSION: 3-Speed Automatic
TIRES: Unknown tire code
MODEL YEAR: 1968
BUILD DATE: June 20.
AXLE: 2.76 Rear Axle Ratio
INTERIOR: , Vinyl Split Bench Seats. White on Black Interior.
PAINT: Racing Green Metallic (Dodge), Forest Green Metallic (Plymouth, Chrysler, Imperial).
OTHER:
MOLDINGS:
30: Body Belt Mouldings
ABC OPTIONS:
H2: Power Locks
K8: Power Windows
P6: Rear Seat Speaker
R1: AM Radio
X2: Tinted Windshield Only
Y0: Green Convertible Top

Hey Howyadoin? Oh man, a ragtop work to be in progress. This oughta be good, keep us posted!

Back