one tooth off

spstan

Reaction score
Has anyone ever put in (or had a distributor put in) that was one tooth off. Wondering what the symptoms were. The cure is to make sure the #1 cylinder is at TDC and that the rotor points directly at the #1 cylinder. Is that right? Paul

On an old Buick I had, one tooth out would result in a no start. Maybe some chuffing and even a backfire.. trick is to chalk it when you take it out and make sure the rotor points to the chalk when seated. That's what I did.. what kind of motor we working on here? I know alot of older Mopars are either on or 180 degrees out.

I know I will get a lot of flack over this.

It does not matter if it is one tooth off or 10, it does not matter if the distributer is one way or 180 to that.

What does matter is that the plug wire from number 1 is on the post that the rotor is pointing to at TDC.

Why do all the manuals want it a curtain way? Convenience in servicing, the mechanic has a standard baseline to work from when troubleshooting.

So to address your question, if you have the engine at TDC and the rotor is pointing that way, orient the distributor so that the vacuum advance has room to move then start loading wires such as number one is at where the rotor is pointing.

Alan

Last edited:

It does not matter if it is one tooth off or 10, it does not matter if the distributer is one way or 180 to that.

What does matter is that the plug wire from number 1 is on the post that the rotor is pointing to at TDC.

Why do all the manuals want it a curtain way? Convenience in servicing, the mechanic has a standard baseline to work from when troubleshooting.

So to address your question, if you have the engine at TDC and the rotor is pointing that way, orient the distributor so that the vacuum advance has room to move then start loading wires such as number one is at where the rotor is pointing.

Alan
Can't get flack for being 100% correct.

i had to install the drive in my 440 one tooth clockwise from stock for the advance can to clear the coil bracket and a/c support rod...the previous fool had it set to #1 position for a small block on the cap

Last edited:
I don't think the one in my 440 was ever in the position the factory put it in. I am the only one who works on the car, so it doesn't matter.

Alan
In general, the position of the distributor body should be as the FSM indicates. This keeps things looking "right" and has enough swing needed for the factory ignition settings and such. But if some aftermarket items have been installed which conflicts with the factory position, then the procedure described is needed. Plain and simple.

Sometimes, "one tooth off" can relate to one notch on the distributor cap (plug wire position). In that case, moving the plug wires one way or the other, as needed, can work.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Back