Phoenix area painter recommendation

70Tom

Reaction score
OK, so after putting several hundred hours into this thing, I've decided I'm going to have the Sport Fury painted by someone who has a decent setup. Thing is, all the people I know out here are too busy to do it right now and time is of the essence.

So, does anyone have any recommendations for someone in the Phoenix area who is a good painter? I'm not looking for show quality. I just want a nice paint job for a daily driver paint job.

I already have purchased primer, paint, clear coat (SPI primers & clear; PPG DBC paint).

It is in bare metal with no rust and body filler work done. There might be a few areas to further address once the Epoxy is on it, but it would be minor.

So, just want someone who will prep/clean it properly before primer/paint, and shoot a nice finish on there.

Please let me know. Thanks.

Chris ............. Id drag my car from Jersey to Arizona on my knees to let him paint it

If it's anything like around here, it is a pain to find someone who will just shoot a car and not supply the materials. Good luck with the search.

I would ask around at local car shows....maybe someone had their car painted and you can see the quality of work before you hire them.

When it looks like this in MI;

IMG_20170203_164522_zpsiv6acfbo.jpg

It's pretty easy to convince...

pAINT%20CAR_zps8r8udvtb.jpg

000_0141.jpg

me...

c57d44f9.jpg

81-WPC_zps3ff46d47.jpg

to...

paladin.jpg

But seriously, I did have these cars painted in Phoenix @ Maaco....

76Newport-1.jpg

75Duster-1.jpg

But that was 15 years ago, so I doubt the recommendations would mean very much.

When it looks like this in MI;

IMG_20170203_164522_zpsiv6acfbo.jpg

It's pretty easy to convince...

pAINT%20CAR_zps8r8udvtb.jpg

000_0141.jpg

me...

c57d44f9.jpg

81-WPC_zps3ff46d47.jpg

to...

paladin.jpg

But seriously, I did have these cars painted in Phoenix @ Maaco....

76Newport-1.jpg

75Duster-1.jpg

But that was 15 years ago, so I doubt the recommendations would mean very much.

I think that's the biggest issue. I'm sure quality varies greatly from shop to shop. I tried reading the reviews but you know how that goes. They're almost useless after a while unless they're by and large terrible reviews.

I think that's the biggest issue. I'm sure quality varies greatly from shop to shop. I tried reading the reviews but you know how that goes. They're almost useless after a while unless they're by and large terrible reviews.

If this car is still in bare metal with bodywork done to it and no primer, how do you know it's ready for paint? You cant really know without having some kind of coating to spot imperfections. then there is a guide coat, blocking, etc. Part of the job of the epoxy primer is to smooth those imperfections. That's well before calling the uh-oh guys.

If this car is still in bare metal with bodywork done to it and no primer, how do you know it's ready for paint? You cant really know without having some kind of coating to spot imperfections. then there is a guide coat, blocking, etc. Part of the job of the epoxy primer is to smooth those imperfections. That's well before calling the uh-oh guys.
I don't. It's ready to start the painting process. I'm well aware that there may be a few sections that need a bit more filler.

I don't. It's ready to start the painting process. I'm well aware that there may be a few sections that need a bit more filler.

Well then I'll give you this advice... Give up the Maaco idea. They are for when there is literally nothing left to do but mask and spray paint. The only reason I took them those two cars (actually more) is because I didn't have a place to spray. I know a lot of guys consider blocking primer, filler, spraying primer, blocking primer, guide coat, wet sand, clean up, etc. to be part of painting, but I assure you painters don't. At a shop like Maaco (or a lot of production shops) they painter is the only skilled guy in the building. The rest are guys who know how to mix bondo and run a DA sander. The painter is kept busy with nothing but laying down glossy paint.

You need to find a real body restoration shop that will spend time on this, not a production shop.

Well then I'll give you this advice... Give up the Maaco idea. They are for when there is literally nothing left to do but mask and spray paint. The only reason I took them those two cars (actually more) is because I didn't have a place to spray. I know a lot of guys consider blocking primer, filler, spraying primer, blocking primer, guide coat, wet sand, clean up, etc. to be part of painting, but I assure you painters don't.

You need to find a real body shop that will spend time on this, not a production shop.
Never said I want a perfect job. I also don't have a ton of money to spend on this. So what I can afford is what's going to get done. I don't have a lot of choice so it is what it is. It's better than the car rotting away in a field which is was before I got it.

Never said I want a perfect job. I also don't have a ton of money to spend on this. So what I can afford is what's going to get done. I don't have a lot of choice so it is what it is. It's better than the car rotting away in a field which is was before I got it.

Oh well then my bad... I had assumed that by stripping to bare metal and spending "several hundred hours", plus a ****-ton of money on the best materials, you were seeking something beyond "better than rotting in a field." (That would make a good class at a show.)

In such a case, I'll defer to what others have said. Ask around car shows.

Oh well then my bad... I had assumed that by stripping to bare metal and spending "several hundred hours", plus a ****-ton of money on the best materials, you were seeking something beyond "better than rotting in a field." (That would make a good class at a show.)

In such a case, I'll defer to what others have said. Ask around car shows.
Why are you giving me attitude? I didn't realize that there's nothing in between rotting in a field and a perfect paint job. You don't know anything about my situation right now so I'm not sure where this is coming from. Moreover, never have a met a single "painter" in my life who didn't consider shooting primer and block sanding as part of his job. If Maaco then isn't the place, then so be it.

Back