Power steering pump problem(s)

challenger

Reaction score
The reman PS pump on my 70 300 is making a lot of noise. It makes a slight wining when going straight but when steering right or left it really makes a racket. In addition to this noise, which I've had before in this car and others, the fluid is milky as if it's been aerated AND the steering wheel pulsating badly unless the fluid is Topped off to a level half way up the neck. At this moment I can't remember which pump it is but I'm pretty sure it's the chrysler/federal /1.06 pump.
Is it possible the fluid got contaminated with water? This car has had a past history of sitting for months without being run? I replaced the pump once several years ago with the current reman unit purchased at Napa. It's been so long ago that I can't remember what the reason was for replacing it.
I'd like to know if it is something I could rebuild myself since the reman units seem to be not so great? I can do about anything automotive but haven't rebuilt a PS pump (yet).
Is the federal pump better for this size vehicle or should I rebuild a Saginaw unit. I have a couple of PS pumps laying around at this point which I can use for rebuilding. Should I just drain and refill this one to see if it is a moisture issue or is the milky fluid possibly from cavitation?
Sorry for the continuous help requests on this car (there will be more :( ) . I appreciate the help for sure.

The reman PS pump on my 70 300 is making a lot of noise. It makes a slight wining when going straight but when steering right or left it really makes a racket. In addition to this noise, which I've had before in this car and others, the fluid is milky as if it's been aerated AND the steering wheel pulsating badly unless the fluid is Topped off to a level half way up the neck. At this moment I can't remember which pump it is but I'm pretty sure it's the chrysler/federal /1.06 pump.
Is it possible the fluid got contaminated with water? This car has had a past history of sitting for months without being run? I replaced the pump once several years ago with the current reman unit purchased at Napa. It's been so long ago that I can't remember what the reason was for replacing it.
I'd like to know if it is something I could rebuild myself since the reman units seem to be not so great? I can do about anything automotive but haven't rebuilt a PS pump (yet).
Is the federal pump better for this size vehicle or should I rebuild a Saginaw unit. I have a couple of PS pumps laying around at this point which I can use for rebuilding. Should I just drain and refill this one to see if it is a moisture issue or is the milky fluid possibly from cavitation?
Sorry for the continuous help requests on this car (there will be more :( ) . I appreciate the help for sure.
Just hang a Saginaw in place and be done with it!

You might want to check the return line to the pump, it could have a collapsed inner liner that is drawing air. Also, if the pressure hose has a seperated inner liner, this can also cause a lot of noise and steering issues due to a restricted fluid flow. A bad front seal on the pump can also cause cavitation due to air being ingested into the fluid.. Unless the car was parked outside with out a hood, it is unlikely that moisture is an issue.

1.) I would start by unhooking the the pressure line from the pump, hook a length of rubber hose to the disconnected end and place it into a capture container. Have a helper start the car, see if any real nasty looking oil comes out. If so, flush the system by reattaching the pressure hose and refilling the power steering pump. Turn the wheel back and forth a few times and repeat the this step until the fluid runs clear.

2.) If you had clear fluid to start with, I would suggest replacing both hoses.

3.) If the previous two steps did not solve your problem, you now know you have a bad pump. Trying to rebuild these pumps is probably better left to a to a re-builder. You can replace the housing seals as that is relatively easy. The pump internals require some specialized measuring tools that most folks do not have.

Dave

I removed both hoses. The return was easy to see through and was fine. The pressure line was fine too but I cut it open to see and ordered a new one from Napa which will be here Tuesday.
I am going to flush the unit and refill before calling it no good. The fluid looks very bad. I must have put dye in it at some point and it seems very thin but no longer has any milky color.

Back