power tools recommendation

I'm addicted to tools, I caught the affliction at a very tender sage from my father who was also a full blown tool addict. I don't have a workshop, I have many workshops, one in every room according to my wife. Anyhow, electric vs air and corded electric vs battery. Few things are a bigger pain than a bunch of extension cords running all over the place. Ditto for air lines. So for ease of use and cord freedom, battery is great. But, they come with a price, they go dead - either when you first pick it up or halfway through the job. Secondly, from what I've seen, only expensive pro grade cordless tools generate the torque of corded or air tools.

Multiple batteries are good, keep one in the charger and another in the tool. Sears Craftsman brand sold nice drills complete with two batteries and charger for typically $60. The problem was the batteries would fail in a year or so and they had a replacement price of $90. So, being smarter than the average bear, I would buy another $60 special. Unfortunately on every iteration I ended up with a new tool with a battery different from any of it's ancestors and gradually built up an assortment of perfectly good tools and chargers and a box of "almost" dead batteries. I really pains me to throw out a perfectly working anything because the stupid battery died.
One day I took a bunch of the batteries apart and discovered battery packs made up of a bunch of rechargeable "C" size cells. Found a guy on eBay selling the cells for a buck each, so bought a bunch and resurrected my battery collection. This turned into work so I started shopping deals again.
What have I learned? First, $60 deals are usually crap. This includes Sears, Black and Decker, etc. Two exceptions being Ryobi and Ridgid (a Home Depot store brand). My Ryobi tools have been a pleasant surprise, they are well made and they do the job without crapping out even when abused. When they do die a replacement is not expensive.
Home Depot's house brand, Ridgid has some very nice tools, both cordless and corded.
Higher end tools made for job site use and abuse are much more expensive but will take a lot of abuse. I look at them once and awhile, but just can't justify the expense and extra toughness which I'll probably never need. If you are going to earn your living using a tool, spend the bucks sinc you can't earn a living running back and forth to the tool store.

One exception, Bosch. These tools are pricey, but they are beautifully made and tough as tough can get. I really like Bosch woodworking tools especially my 10" sliding compound miter chop saw. Cost me a grand, but man does it do a nice job.

Stay far, far away from tools made in China!

Please excuse my long rambling post, but I did warn you, I am a Tool Addict!

Bosch and Festool are quite expensive, but I have heard they are the best for woodworking...

Hi, my name is Jeff... and I'm a tool addict too.

Angle grinders, SDS hammer drill and $11 planers I know are going to find nails... HF is fine... but they were all tools I bought knowing I would kill them. I also tend to buy on sale anticipating the project they are meant for. I never buy a warranty, I ask the cashier when they try "You'll replace it if it fails in 30 days, right?" and quite often they have. Toss them in the trash when done. I have bought $20 Sawzall wannabe's too... didn't want to kill the Sawzall cutting up crap like an old RV or whatever. Their saw blades suck, but I burned through a ton of metal blades in various circular saws over the years that never cost more than $20 either...

Some tasks eat tools and a pro level tool will cost huge dollars and often disappoint that it won't take the ruthless punishment much better than the cheapy anyhow... but how many folks are planning to chop a 40 foot bus? Or stick a 28 foot RV in the dumpster? I do dumb stuff sometimes...

I'm addicted to tools, I caught the affliction at a very tender sage from my father who was also a full blown tool addict. I don't have a workshop, I have many workshops, one in every room according to my wife. Anyhow, electric vs air and corded electric vs battery. Few things are a bigger pain than a bunch of extension cords running all over the place. Ditto for air lines. So for ease of use and cord freedom, battery is great. But, they come with a price, they go dead - either when you first pick it up or halfway through the job. Secondly, from what I've seen, only expensive pro grade cordless tools generate the torque of corded or air tools.

Multiple batteries are good, keep one in the charger and another in the tool. Sears Craftsman brand sold nice drills complete with two batteries and charger for typically $60. The problem was the batteries would fail in a year or so and they had a replacement price of $90. So, being smarter than the average bear, I would buy another $60 special. Unfortunately on every iteration I ended up with a new tool with a battery different from any of it's ancestors and gradually built up an assortment of perfectly good tools and chargers and a box of "almost" dead batteries. I really pains me to throw out a perfectly working anything because the stupid battery died.
One day I took a bunch of the batteries apart and discovered battery packs made up of a bunch of rechargeable "C" size cells. Found a guy on eBay selling the cells for a buck each, so bought a bunch and resurrected my battery collection. This turned into work so I started shopping deals again.
What have I learned? First, $60 deals are usually crap. This includes Sears, Black and Decker, etc. Two exceptions being Ryobi and Ridgid (a Home Depot store brand). My Ryobi tools have been a pleasant surprise, they are well made and they do the job without crapping out even when abused. When they do die a replacement is not expensive.
Home Depot's house brand, Ridgid has some very nice tools, both cordless and corded.
Higher end tools made for job site use and abuse are much more expensive but will take a lot of abuse. I look at them once and awhile, but just can't justify the expense and extra toughness which I'll probably never need. If you are going to earn your living using a tool, spend the bucks sinc you can't earn a living running back and forth to the tool store.

One exception, Bosch. These tools are pricey, but they are beautifully made and tough as tough can get. I really like Bosch woodworking tools especially my 10" sliding compound miter chop saw. Cost me a grand, but man does it do a nice job.

Stay far, far away from tools made in China!

Please excuse my long rambling post, but I did warn you, I am a Tool Addict!
Bill, Thank you... the battery thing crossed my mind once or twice... I finally discarded the old makita stuff after more than a decade of just storage.
I have this and use the 1/4 impact driver at work more than the drill, the battery will last longer with the impact than the drill. For longer life get a higher amp/hr battery but price of the kit will go up.
Back when I actually worked for a living, I used my drills a bunch for belly pan R&R because with the clutch I didn't worry about stripping the speed nuts... I can see where the 1/4 would be a great addition, and size counts working on cars... too many tight spaces.

To repeat myself, I like my ryobi crap... but I wouldn't recommend them (my electrician friend liked mine way better than his porter cable crap)... My reason was based on battery interchangeability for the crap and the tools doing what I want them to do... The person shopping for something should spend a few minutes on the internet deciding what they want/need first and see what the prices are...

Back