proform distributor and vacuum advance question

Went uptownto autozone a little while ago. Ordered a cardone reman dizzy. $49 and no core. Any QC checks i can do before installing it into the engine? Will the curve work well with my engine? Thanks
How did the "tang" on the cardone dizzy you got look? I got 2 from AutoZone & they were crap - wouldnt fit. Ordered 2 from O'reilly's to check on quality. Here's a comparison photo of the 1st one I got from AutoZone and my orig.
2016-04-24%2014.49.15.jpg

I can't see the pic, and not sure what the "tag" is. I looked at mine, the reluctor and pickup looks a little sloppy to me. May take it back...

I can't see the pic, and not sure what the "tag" is. I looked at mine, the reluctor and pickup looks a little sloppy to me. May take it back...
"tang" the end of the dizzy shaft that inserts into the cam gear. The shafts end is "male" cutout, the cam gear is "female"

"tang" the end of the dizzy shaft that inserts into the cam gear. The shafts end is "male" cutout, the cam gear is "female"
Ok gotcha. Mine looked ok, but my concern was the reluctor and pickup. I'm going to see if i can adjust it. Thanks for your reply

Here's a photo of the "tang" of the dizzy from Autozone on the LEFT vs my stock dizzy

2016-04-24%2014.49.15.jpg

Ordered 2 from O'Reilly's and picked the better of the two - Much Better!

2016-04-27%2017.09.34.jpg

Ok gotcha. Mine looked ok, but my concern was the reluctor and pickup. I'm going to see if i can adjust it. Thanks for your reply

What do you mean "if you can adjust it?" You mean the .008 air gap?
2016-04-27%2017.19.10.jpg

Adjust by the silver screw like adjusting points - if that's what you're referring to
2016-04-27%2017.10.06.jpg

What do you mean "if you can adjust it?" You mean the .008 air gap?
2016-04-27%2017.19.10.jpg

Adjust by the silver screw like adjusting points - if that's what you're referring to
2016-04-27%2017.10.06.jpg
Ok thanks hopefully this weekend I'll get over to my storage unit and take another gander at my autozone reman dizzy. I'll bring the feeler gauges too and double check that adjustment!

Ok thanks hopefully this weekend I'll get over to my storage unit and take another gander at my autozone reman dizzy. I'll bring the feeler gauges too and double check that adjustment!

Remember, you need to use the BRASS feeler gauges due to the magnet on the pickup.

This is the part that concerns me. The reluctor and pickup. I don't know if you can tell by the pictures, but the pickup doesn't look "square " with the reluctor.

20160428_174611.jpg

20160428_174700.jpg

This is the part that concerns me. The reluctor and pickup. I don't know if you can tell by the pictures, but the pickup doesn't look "square " with the reluctor.
That's how mine is also - tilted a bit. The top has a bit more gap than the bottom. Just make sure you have the .008 air gap and it should be fine. Check all the reluctor stars to make sure they all clear the pickup. I'll install mine Sat.

Ok thanks I'm going to pick up brass feelers this weekend.

A38E86D32, As I posted in #23 I got a cardone dizzy from AutoZone and the tang was mucked up. I ordered another and 2nd one's tang was better, but the pick-up was not new. I went ahead and ordered two cardone's O'reilly's and picked the better of the two. The tolerance of the reluctor and pick-up on the two units from AutoZone looked exactly like yours so I assumed that's how these all were. After seeing your post I took a look at this O'reilly's cardone and the reluctor & pick-up are indeed parallel to one another. I'm thinking AutoZone has some crappy stock so I'd say it may behoove you to try for another. If you have an O'reilly's out where you are I'd try ordering a couple and see what you get.

Here's some pics of the one I got from O'reilly's. The air gap was pre-set at .008 whereas the AutoZone units wern't... more like .020

2016-04-28%2018.33.49.jpg

2016-04-28%2018.33.29.jpg

2016-04-28%2018.33.12.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, we have Napa, Pepboys, and the other is advance auto. I'll see if they carry cardone...

been using a proform distrubdtor on a 440for years with no issues and imho the carbone rebuilts arent worth 5 bucks

been using a proform distrubdtor on a 440for years with no issues and imho the carbone rebuilts arent worth 5 bucks
I have one on my newly rebuilt 440. It looks like a real nice part. The engine builder told me it wouldn't run with the vacuum advance connected. Couldn't figure out why...

You need vacuum advance on the street it is better for the engine life and durability at part throttle not to mention fuel economy. I am going to assume your engine builder is old because that is a very old school way of thinking, drag only cars are the only ones that should not have vacuum advance connected.
I have also filed the pick up to square it to the reluctor but I do not think this is necessary just putting it out there.

Yea, he is old school and builds mostly dirt track engines. I definitely want vacuum advance. I think I'll make my cardone reman distributor work. I may also pick up an old points style for a spare and install my pertronix setup...

Back