rotten firewall

c300g

Reaction score
the firewall and heater duct in my 65 plymouth is rotted right through. every time i was the car or it rains, the floor fills up with water. i pulled the cowl off and was unable to access where the damage is but i can see it from under the dash. its hard to say for sure but it appears to be a failure point as i cannot find any place for the water to drain.

IMG_6448.JPG

IMG_6449.JPG

IMG_6450.JPG

IMG_6451.JPG

There is only one way to fix this without doing it again in another spot later.

Strip all the parts off the firewall in this area, weld it up.
Remove the wiper linkage and add seam sealer on the plenum seam then coat the inside with por-15

Water drains out three points, each end, and a drain under the wiper motor, although this is a 69 the slabs should be basically the same.

Alan

2013-04-21_001.jpg

2013-04-21_002.jpg

2013-04-21_003.jpg

There is only one way to fix this without doing it again in another spot later.

Strip all the parts off the firewall in this area, weld it up.
Remove the wiper linkage and add seam sealer on the plenum seam then coat the inside with por-15

Water drains out three points, each end, and a drain under the wiper motor, although this is a 69 the slabs should be basically the same.

Alan
this car has a lot more access then mine. mine is so tight, you cant even get your hand in and feel where the damage is.

That amount of rust dictates stripping the heater core out and maybe even the dash assy to truly get to the firewall from the inside. Then you can do a proper assessment of what will need to be done to repair those holes.

I took those pictures before I started tapping on the rust with a large screw driver.
It was kind of like picking at a scab.
If I am lucky it's only about 30% of that section.
Time to get my metal forming and welding skills in shape! :lol:

Back