Shipping Disc Brakes

azblackhemi

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
How have you guys been shipping Disc brakes that you have either bought or sold lately? How much has it cost? I'm thinking of letting a few sets go soon but hate shipping heavy items. Thanks in advance for the replies.

How have you guys been shipping Disc brakes that you have either bought or sold lately? How much has it cost? I'm thinking of letting a few sets go soon but hate shipping heavy items. Thanks in advance for the replies.
Are you selling a set of 1973 spindles sets by chance?

Fastenal worked for me with the stub frame. Apparently, you can only ship to and from stores that have a forklift, even for lighter items.

I found on smaller lighter things like quarter repairs they were more. But the nice thing about themy is the person picking up pays there

Are you selling a set of 1973 spindles sets by chance?

I have some complete sets with spindles, rotors, calipers, bearings backing plates etc. When I sell them I'll sell them as a complete set. Thanks,Chris

I was just talking to my Fastenal rep the other day about this. He told me that you can ship most anything across the country for $150 or less. It has to be on a pallet and if you want it insured it needs to be crated.

He advised that they are a little slow; like coast to coast would be a week to two weeks, but them verses LTL is no comparison.

I was just talking to my Fastenal rep the other day about this. He told me that you can ship most anything across the country for $150 or less. It has to be on a pallet and if you want it insured it needs to be crated.

He advised that they are a little slow; like coast to coast would be a week to two weeks, but them verses LTL is no comparison.

Thanks! Will Fastenal sell you a pallet and band it for you?

I doubt it. This is what it said on the contract they sent me:
SHIPMENT MUST BE STRAPPED TO PALLET, GLASS PROTECT, SIDES PROTECT
MUST BE DRAINED OF ALL FLUIDS AND STRAPPED TO PALLET NO OVERHANG

When I asked about the "glass protect, sides protect" they said:
"Don’t worry about side and glass it’s a bit of a generic form just to remind the customers to make sure everything is packaged well."

The fee for me was $200.

I was told that every shipment had to be movable by a single driver with a forklift. That explains the pallet stipulation. The store I picked up at said that they could help me pallet a shipment, but I didn't inquire as to what "help" meant.

Thanks! Will Fastenal sell you a pallet and band it for you?
Go down to Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, and grab one of the castaway pallets by the receiving area.
Whatever you do, DO NOT steal take one of the Blue or Red pallets. The store has to account for those.

Go down to Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, and grab one of the castaway pallets by the receiving area.
Whatever you do, DO NOT steal take one of the Blue or Red pallets. The store has to account for those.

ya, Chep will have a **** fit. DAMHIK

I was told that every shipment had to be movable by a single driver with a forklift. That explains the pallet stipulation. The store I picked up at said that they could help me pallet a shipment, but I didn't inquire as to what "help" meant.

I've used fastenal a few times. Mainly cost effective for larger / bulky items like tailgates,engines, transmissions. You can find cheaper like FEDEX or others for heavy but not really big or really heavy items. I use USPS for light and small things.

With Fastenal I've always showed up and loaded the items on a pallet the store had and they plastic wrapped it to a pallet they had for me.

Also always worked out an agreement with buyer that fastenal would not be held responsible for damages cause I wasn't building a crate and the items were not something real prone to damage ... steel wheels etc.

Fastenal would be held liable if they lost the items which is unlikely but possible if they had a less than desirable working in the system that may want it LOL

I've always set the whole thing up through my regional fastenal distribution center ... as most buyers have never dealt with it and it's just easier since A. I've done it and B. I have the part and am the one weighing, measuring, and delivering. I just told them the charge up front and they paid me and I set it up. They just pick up the part when it arrives.

Smaller heavy stuff can be shipped much cheaper via a company called Spee-dee. BUT it's only in the northwest so far. They pick up at your house and deliver to houses or business. I shipped a Hemi 4 speed with shifter and rods to Idaho from my garage to his place for $65 bucks.

Here's the website.

Spee-Dee Delivery Service, Inc.

For a disc brake kit the only things you need to ship are the spindles, caliper brackets, dustshields, and misc bolts/nuts/hardware. Anyone doing a disc conversion should be buying new calipers, bearings, seals, rotors pads, etc. I just checked Rockauto and Autozone and only $5 core on calipers, so no sense shipping those unless they are really fresh/usable.

So, if wanting to help out a buyer, I would look at shipping the heavy parts in a USPS flat-rate box (~$14 anywhere in US) then ship the lightweight dustshields in a 2nd box that is under $12" dia (12" or larger boxes go by 'dimensional weight' and cost goes up). Athough it might be just as effective to ship all in one box.

I've shipped steel cop wheels 15x7 at around $30-32 each via FEDEX. They weight more than non cop wheels ... IIR about 32lbs.

Also from memory which may or may not be accurate 15x6.5/7 non cop steel wheels were about 26lbs and about $26-7 via FEDEX.

I have some complete sets with spindles, rotors, calipers, bearings backing plates etc. When I sell them I'll sell them as a complete set. Thanks,Chris
Can you PM about the complete set - I would be very appreciative

Thanks

Ken

Back