Silicone Roof Coating

rexus31

Reaction score
Any roofers on the board? I had the flat portion of my roof done 16 years ago and it is in good shape. In an effort to reflect heat and lengthen the life of the roof, I am considering a silicone coating. I've gotten one quote so far from a reputable roofing company for $3,750 (900 sq. ft.) applying APOC Armor Flex Shield (primer and top coat). This product seems to have good reviews on the internet. Anyone have any experience with it? Is $4+ per square foot the going rate?

This is pertaining convertible tops,I am assuming??
(just for clarity for others)

I've only heard great things about Carlisle roofs. Specifically Carlisle SynTec,
Carlisle SynTec > Search > documents > Warranty

While I was laid off last summer, I worked part time Maintenance for Cox Automotive, Manheim Auto Auction. We had a very large building with a Carlisle SynTec roof, never a problem or leak. The price would obviously be more than what you will pay for the coating over your existing roof but the SynTec product has a 35 year warranty. It may be worth checking out.

upload_2019-2-17_18-20-2.png

I assume that this is a rubberized roofing system in place now? You could look into a seamless process either over the top or replacing the current material. I'm not sure about the adhesion of a coating over an existing material. This is only an assumption and my experiences.

If the current outer surface is still in good shape with no evidence of changing anytime soon, you might consider a "radiant barrier" for the inside surface of the roof. A spray-on foam situation with some metallic heat-reflective material in it. Used with a lot of normal composition roofs in the DFW, TX area. Became quite popular for construction where the roof insulation was blown-in on top of the ceilings rather than otherwise. End result might be not much different, in concept, from the insulation "bats" with a radiant vapor barrier on the structure-contact side of things.

CBODY67

Am I the last person to have a tar and gravel roof done?
And the original one was still not leaking after 50 yrs.

How many times have the resultant cracks in the tar been covered up with new tar? Just curious.

Respectfully,
CBODY67

Thanks for the replies, guys. I should have clarified, this is for my home. I'm not interested in, nor do I need a reroof. The roof is standard roll out, torch down membrane that carries a 25 year warranty and is leak free. We currently have blown insulation in our "attic" which is more of a crawl space. The flat portion of the roof of our 1930 Spanish Colonial Revival has about a 3'-4' crawl space so there's not a lot of room for someone to get up there to apply spray foam. It's actually a miracle someone was able to install a central AC system due to lack of space and clearance up there. I'm only interested in applying a coating on the existing roof.

I have a low slop roof on a portion of my house. It was a bitimus hot seamed roof membrane, Tha received zero maintenance and had cracked so badly it looked like a alligator hide. To increase the serviceability of the roof I researched coatings. I found a locally based manufacturer called Lucas. It was rolled out in two to three applications in white. We did notice a temperature drop inside.

After a couple of years, it was time to replace the roofs, the low slope portion, I stripped, needless to say the coating was tenacious in its grip on the bitimus roof. I simply used their cleaning solution, let it dry and coated

Am I the last person to have a tar and gravel roof done?
And the original one was still not leaking after 50 yrs.
Had one on a flat part at the back of our house. Lasted from early 70s until last year. It would have a small leak every once in a while, and seal itself back up. After a few years of that, it started leaking a lot really quickly. I wanted the same kind of roof redone, but they told me that its illegal to do here now. Something about using a torch to install it.

In near-north Dallas, just south of Love Field, there's a warehouse building that was a prior GE warehouse (rail line beside it and all!). In the '80s, it became Love Field Antique Mall. Their "back room" was an indoor vehicle storage/sale area (for operational/running-driving vehicles). A pretty neat place, all told. In an older part of town where many of the antiques on sale probably came from.

In the '90s, we started hearing rumors of them moving. Reason was the roof and a few other things, like "increasing rent". Seems the tar roof had cracked, been resealed, cracked some more, and still leaked. The building was probably put up on the mid-'50s, I suspect. End result, the place closed down. Now it's been re-done as a Tesla dealer and other things. Usually, with that type of roof material that can't be removed, some sort of "exterior barrier" covers the existing roof. Possibly a metal roof structure? Something "modern" and low-maintenance, no doubt.

Other antique malls/shops have come and gone, but none we know of that was so welcoming to car displays. A really great place, with a nice restaurant, too. Hated to see it go!

CBODY67

Back