Single master cylinder 1962-65

62newport361

Reaction score
I have 62 newport, manual drum brake and it it need master cylinder. I can only find power master cylinder for this year. Are 1962-65 single pot manual master cylinder interchange?

For 1962, the parts manual is not as clear as it should be, but the best I can tell they are different part numbers. The part number for a manual master cylinder is 2260017, and the only source of this that I could find is Collector's Auto Supply, which is usually a front for a lot of NOS suppliers, but mostly AMS Obsolete. But going to AMS Obsolete's website, they don't show any in stock. So in this case, I don't know where Collectors Auto Supply gets their part, but they are showing it available for a pricey $190 NOS.

My 1965 parts book also shows that manual and power MCs are different, and shows more clearly the manual part number is 2409977 and that is available I believe rebuilt at Arizona Parts for $165. But that site suggests only the 1965 and 1966 use that one.

So they are apparently different, but I might be tempted to try the power brake version and see if it works well enough without excessive pedal effort to stop the car, assuming all will hook up the same or if you have your original one, I would try to find a rebuild kit for it if it is still useable and you can find one.

You might also try some of the vendors on this list from the Imperial Club Website to find what you need.

Imperial Brake Resources

Good Luck!

Fortunately, mine has power brakes until that supply runs dry...............................

62 300 #1 (1) (1).jpg

I have two rebuilt singles that are supposedly for disc brake cars if anyone needs one. I don't know how hard to find they are. Got them a few years ago then found out that the drum and disc brake masters were different.

I would only use a single-pot MC's if trying to stay original. It isn't hard to install a dual reservoir type, which is safer (fed mandate ~1967). With a 2-4 adapter plate ($30 ebay), you can mount many newer aluminum MC's. I did in my 65 Newport.

A little late to the party but....autozone has a single part number M40412 and says it fits a Newport. I have a 62 Dart that has a single MC, same part number

Do I remember correctly that you must also get proportioning(SP) valve if switching to a dual feed MC. I kept my car with the single feed.

'62 300.jpg

Do I remember correctly that you must also get proportioning(SP) valve if switching to a dual feed MC. I kept my car with the single feed.

View attachment 120904
You are thinking of a distribution block, not proportioning valve. They never used a proportioning valve on a drum brake car.

The distribution block really just is a switch that turns on a light if you have a failure in the front or back brake lines. It's not necessary for this swap, but it can make it easier to plumb the brake lines to the new master cylinder.

The change to a dual MC is really a good swap. If you want to stay a bit more original looking, get a MC from a 68 or so drum brake car instead of the later aluminum MC suggested. It should bolt right up with no adapters.

If you are going to actually drive the car I would ditch the single master cylinder.
Anything more than a slow weep type leak and you go straight to no brakes at all, then you will have to decide what is the softest thing around to hit, no fun

If you are going to actually drive the car I would ditch the single master cylinder.
Anything more than a slow weep type leak and you go straight to no brakes at all, then you will have to decide what is the softest thing around to hit, no fun

Since my 62 300 has total contact brakes with two wheel cylinders in each front wheel and a stout parking brake mounted on the output shaft of the transmission, and no rear parking brakes at all, there is much to leak and nothing effective to stop it if there is. With more modern cars, at least there is the rear brakes applied with the parking pedal to help stop. But at least I use silicone fluid in my systems, and no issues for a long time. But as you say, what if they do arise................... no fun.

I just went through this and what you need to know is there is most definitely a difference between the two master cylinders offered. What you need is the 1" 1\8 diameter piston found in the 2260017. The master cylinder that you will find in your local auto parts shop will be 1" and inadequate for the constant contact brake system. I just bought an NOS one off eBay and got an additional rebuild kit just in case.

Back