Some guy gave me a FREE 4 Barrell intake, which carb??

OneEyed

Reaction score
So this guy comes into my shop at work and asks me about my Newport and if I'd like to have a 4 barrel in there. He then leads me out to his truck and hands me a 4 barrel intake, and says I can have it for free. :yaayy:

Turns out, he works a few blocks over and has seen my car several times and he has a '68 New Yorker, which now I'm really interested in having a look at, never seen it around.

I was planning on having my 2 barrel rebuilt, but now I'm thinking I should just go for the 4. He told me that a Carter AFB 4131 came off of it, but I don't see too many on ebay and looks like they mostly need to be rebuilt anyways.

Is there anything else that will fit and if so which ones?

Any opinions on what I should use for a 4 barrel?? Thanks!
Plus, I finally got my new wheels put on about a month ago, new RH studs too. Ill include a few pics. 20150428_151600.jpg
2015-03-27 19.10.08.jpg

20150428_151600.jpg

2015-03-27 19.10.08.jpg

That's awesome its always nice so see generosity mopar guys are the best

The Edelbrock carbs are a copy of the carters, I'm assuming your engine is a 383, so Id say go with the 625cfm unit. Make sure that manifold is for a B motor if yours is a 383. The 440 manifolds are wider.

That is a square-bore Holley pattern. Carter four-barrels were all spread-bore, BUT the WCFB Carter fits this pattern. It was used on these manifolds. Look at that cast number. This is a 1958 - 1961 intake for an RB-383 or a 413, which would bear out the WCFB carb application. Not cheap carbs to source. There is a reason this intake was free.

Odd that's a very early casting number that I don't have in my book but it doesn't look like an early intake.

One eyed has to let us know if he is running a 383 or not, which I believe he is. If that's the case, that manifold is for an RB, it wont fit. The carb question becomes moot then.

Okay, as Patrick66 has explained, going by that part number. the manifold is for an RB meaning it wont fit your engine anyway, it is too wide. If you want to physically check it, measure the width of the manifold and check the one already on the car.

Ok. Thanks for the help. I'll double check it tonight. For future reference, where do you look up casting numbers? From what i can find, Google didn't have any info on this one..

I've measured the width and some of the bolt holes that run front to back and so far everything looks the same size. Can anyone tell me what the width of a known RB is?

The casting code from the free intake is 1737708
the one in my car is 2205737

I measured my 383 and 440 (both '68s).
It was easier for me to measure distance from inside the points rather than the bolt holes so my measurements may not match what someone else has.
Using your pic, you can see where exactly I measured.
measure.jpg
The 383 was approx 6 3/4 inch
The 440 was approx 8 inch

measure.jpg

Both of mine are approx. 8". I measured the backside points as well, since that was easier to reach in the car. Does yours measure 8" at the back too?

Yes, they'll be the same front to back.

The WCFB base is smaller than all other Carters, and is a square-bore versus a spread-bore. You'll probably need to find a small Holley to fit that, as WCFB carbs are expensive and very scarce. I had a factory cast dual-quad intake that used the same carb. I ended up selling it because it was going to be too expensive to source two carbs, the right linkages and all that.

You can tell the general era of a Chrysler part by the number. As a general rule, the seven-digit series started in the 1950s with a ONE. Sixties parts started with TWO, Seventies parts start with either a THREE or a FOUR. This is a late Fifties intake, as I stated earlier. Note that a part might be used over a period of years unchanged, so you will encounter parts that carry over from one decade to another.

A great and very informative tutorial on Chrysler part numbers here:
http://www.440source.com/partnumberinfo.htm

Kc imperial has it right. The b series big blocks have smaller steel straps where the valley pan is than the rb series big blocks do. The manifolds are not interchangeable.

Ok. Thanks for the help. I'll double check it tonight. For future reference, where do you look up casting numbers? From what i can find, Google didn't have any info on this one..

The cast number is the seven digit number at the front of your manifold. Usually a google search will turn up the original application.
Your manifold is a very early one as indicated by the "17" at the beginning of the cast number. (1957/58). Your limited to what carb you can use due to the small WCFB base. Performance won't be much different then the 2bbl you have now. You might do better to offer it to someone over at the forward look site and locate a later manifold if you need a 4bbl. Their pretty plentiful yet.

http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=40700

I guess I'm still confused as to if it will fit or not. So far it measures the same as the intake in my car. But if performance gains are minimal I doubt I will use it. But I would still like to know...

Back