Speedometer issues on my 65 fury

c300g

Reaction score
After getting pulled over for speeding, i figured it was time to fix the broken speedometer in my 65 savoy (fury i).
when connected, the gears skip and the needle goes back and forth. i took it apart today and did some thinking and playing around. it looks like the cable goes into a slip clutch that operates the needle. it appears that the clutch is very sticky as its difficult to move. does anyone have any suggestions?
of course the whole damn mechanism is riveted to the face plate and the rivets are special and finished to match the speedo face. id hate to drill them out.

I will be watching this thread with interest since the speedo on the Monaco hops around below 30 mph and settles down at higher speeds. I've read about lubricating the cable with graphite. I've changed the speedo out with what was supposed to be a new one but it did the same thing. I never considered it to be an issue with the speedo itself.

I've had success with spraying into the head & down the cable with WD 40 or even better graphite lube. Not a bad idea to hit all your lock cylinders while your at it. Give it a shot. Sometimes it takes a week or so to work in.

I've been talking to jim rawa about it. I've learned that its a magnetic clutch.
it seems to be that the steel that the magnets attract to is seizing. why this is i do not know.

There are a few checks you can do to figure out exactly what's going on. Pull the gear at the transmission and check for wear. Sometimes the teeth become so sharp from wear, they skip on the output shaft's helical cut gear at higher speeds. If you have an adjustable cable mount at the transmission be sure the markings line in value for the gear on the end of the cable. If the speedo cable is even binding slightly or the core of the cable is slightly to long, it will force too much pressure at the speedo head causing erratic readings. Try cutting, or grinding 1/8 off the cable to relieve pressure. Once removed, the speedometer unit can be cleaned with WD40 followed by alcohol to remove all residue. Then, using a toothpick, lube the ends of all speedo mechanism's shafts with WD40 or super light oil. Now spin up the mechanism (on the workbench) with a variable speed drill set on low speed. Note the movement as you keep the drill at various speeds until you reach (if you can) the top speed. If this fails or the needle bounces, a new mechanism is required.

First, there are the two gears in the trans tailhousing. The drive gear that's on the trans output shaft (usually slid over a clip on the shaft) that turns the driven gear (in the housing with the numbers on it, as mentioned. There is a bushing in that aluminum housing. The gears can wear as well as the driven gear shaft and the housing's bushing.

The speedo cable indexes into the square hole in the driven gear shaft. That end of the cable is pressed "square" for that, as is the other end of the cable where it indexes into the speed cup on the speedometer head.

That rear part of the speed cup mechanism is were the bar magnet is. The cable turns it and the magnetism in turn, turns the front side of the speed cup, which is attached to the speedometer needle. The speedometer needle is "zero'd" by a thin clockspring. There is a bushing in the speed cup that can wear and deteriorate. Replacements are usually bronze, especially if the originals are plastic.

What the cable turns in, the sheath can also wear on the inside. Sometimes, it'll wear through any inner wear surface and directly contact the wire mesh in the sheath, IF the casing is not metal, but a plastic vinyl material.

ANY prior lube in the cable and in the speedometer head can evaporate, become gummy, and need cleaning and replacement with time. General Motors used to have a tube of "Speedometer Cable Lube", which was kind of like Dippity-Do hair gel, but a lubricant. Graphite is a classic lube from times past. White grease/lubriplate has been used, too. Main thing is that it's light, will not gum up with time, and remain "in place" during hot/cold cycles.

Once cleaned, things should work well, if there is no wear in the system. In some cases, it might be best to seek out a new cable assembly. Transmission shops can have replacement gears. Getting a cable assembly that's made for the car by a speedometer shop is much better than getting a universal cable from an auto supply, by observation. There's a speedo shop in MI that advertises in some hobby publications. I've heard good reports on his business as he came from the automotive industry himself. He can probably make anything you need, cable-wise.

To check the calibration, you can use GPS on a smartphone for distance and speed. Calibrate distance FIRST, as that relates to the number of cable revolutions per mile. Speed comes next as it's the strength of the magnet that determines how the speedometer needle moves, which is a variable calibration by a speedo shop (if there still are any around that does that in your area).

CBODY67

Back