Starting issues...where to start?

66MonacoWagon

Reaction score
OK, this is the second time this has happened, so I'll solicit the group on where to start. I'm still learning this car, haven't had it very long.

It's winter here in Chicago, and the car has choke issues, so I try to get it started and running every 2-3 weeks, but it is never happy with me for doing so (have a new carb, just haven't installed yet). I tried to start yesterday, but it wouldn't turn over, so I guessed battery first. I bought a battery charger and battery was low but now charged.

I turn the key and I get a humming/buzzing from either under the dash or in the engine compartment nearby, starter does not try to engage. Lights go very dim when I turn the key. I put it in gear and rocked the car a but, but still buzzed/hummed. I had replaced the voltage regulator at the end of summer as my lights flicker with the motor running. It did not fix the flickering, but I haven't investigated much further (alternator looks brand new). After about 10 turns on the key it started right up with no buzzing.

Where should I start?

Couple of first steps. Even though the battery is charged it may fail under load if it's bad. I'd try starting it with the battery charger on. Of course make sure all connections are clean and tight. Then I'd check the starter relay. Try jumping it with a screwdriver and see if it turns over.

Ok I just reread your post. It turned over after turning the key 10 times? Maybe ignition switch?

Yes, eventually started. Restarts now. Seems to be a consistent issues after it sits for 2 weeks.

Yes, eventually started. Restarts now. Seems to be a consistent issues after it sits for 2 weeks.

Be sure the battery terminals are clean as noted above. Apply some anti-corrosion spray or liquid to the cables and terminals before you reinstall them. The next time you go to try and start it, use a voltage meter to check your battery state of charge if it does not start. You could have a bad battery or a small voltage draw some place that is draining the battery. Could also be corroded terminals in the starter relay or the ignition switch.

Dave

What throws me is the humming/buzzing that I am getting from under the dash that is only there when it doesn’t turn over.

What throws me is the humming/buzzing that I am getting from under the dash that is only there when it doesn’t turn over.

That would be your starter relay. It will do that with low voltage, a bad ground or bad contacts in the ignition switch or relay. Usually will be low voltage from a dirty battery cable or dying or discharged battery.

Dave

Back