Starting Issues

Shamu70

Reaction score
Hello people, all summer i’d been going every other week to take out the car, putting the battery back in every time. Once in a while it would “click”, I’d go & reposition the battery terminals & it would fire right up.
Yesterday I did the above, installed new terminals, had the battery tested & decided I needed a new starter. Ok, so today I’ve learned I should have checked other things like the starter relay; I know only basics though.
I’m having trouble with the top starter bolt, so I’m totally willing to test other parts; what do I do? Thank you for reading.

Jack

The fat wire from the starter goes to the starter relay..
Next to that terminal is a smaller wire on the relay that also goes to the starter.
At the relay stick a box end wrench onto the big terminal and the small terminal..
May spark a little don't be concerned about that...
The starter should engage (turn over)...

Where in Illinois are you?

Top post battery with these terminals?
upload_2018-10-7_17-43-57.jpeg

Make sure the posts are clean, do you have a test light? You need one of these or a multi meter to test for power
upload_2018-10-7_17-46-16.jpeg

Test for power at the large terminal on the relay, it should look like this one
upload_2018-10-7_17-49-0.jpeg
. If you have power and it just clicks go to the small wire with the screw and check for power while someone turns the key, if you have power go to the starter and check for power on both terminals (large one is from the battery, small one is from the relay) while turning the key.

Here is a pic of the relay with the wires
upload_2018-10-7_17-59-46.jpeg

The neutral switch provides ground to the relay, with the test light clip on the ground anything you touch and it lights, you have power. If you put the clip on the positive anything you touch and it lights, you have ground.

I know it's lost of info, but I hope it will help you find the cause of your issue. Happy hunting

Stick a quarter between those two exposed terminals and if the starter turns over, the relay is likely the problem.

I suggest you use an insulated toolt to jump the terminals. If you don't have a starter bump switch, a well insulated screw driver will do. No chance in hedes I'd use a quarter.

And I do the sketchiest **** you've ever seen.

300 to 800 amps uninsulated, not a chance.

Thank you, I’ll find out Thursday. I’ll tell you guys though, I’ve never had a relay fail; starters yes. But man this’d be awesome.

I suggest you use an insulated toolt to jump the terminals. If you don't have a starter bump switch, a well insulated screw driver will do. No chance in hedes I'd use a quarter.

And I do the sketchiest **** you've ever seen.

300 to 800 amps uninsulated, not a chance.

Actually, all you are doing is bypassing the relay that doesn't handle that type of current. The relay makes the solenoid in the starter work and the solenoid does two things, first it pull the starter gear into the ring gear and then it makes electrical contact that makes the starter turn. The current passing through the relay is just for the solenoid and not for the starter. If you've ever had a starter apart, you'll see the large contact under the screw terminal.

It's nowhere near that amount of current at the relay. The quarter gets a little warm and will get hot if you leave it on too long. Key rings get hotter LOL..

That said... If you aren't comfortable, that's fine... Use a screwdriver.

For "not that much there", it sure does make a solid spark with a screwdriver end. Just don't be bashful, make that contact firm, quick, and with authority.

CBODY67

Ok and don't lie. How many of you guys had that gap jumped with a horn button and some cheap wire to start your car in high school. I sure did. Spend precious gas money just so you could start it in luxury with the key ??? Not me brother.

Ok, just taking a break. So just like was mentioned, I ran a screwdriver across the relay terminals. A spark & the same sound from below. Went & picked up a 1/2” extension for that top bolt; it’s off & it tested bad.
There’s a shim there & I don’t know if I should keep it there with the new starter.

I hadn’t mentioned that when I picked up the new NAPA starter, it looked kinda small.
But they said the numbers matched; we thought it was a “mini starter.”
Nope, wrong one in the right box. Bolted in correctly, but just wound itself up.
They overnighted the correct one today.

Shamu lives!!!! And not taking chances on a re-man. Got a new one, much smaller. I’ve had these things in & out 5 times since yesterday morning. First mini was a dud. This new one cranked once, then spun/grinded, then caught after three attempted starts.
AND it started again! God, what I’ve been through these past two days with lying on my back, re-wiring a terminal end & back and forth to different stores.
It’s 40 & drizzly, but I may go back just to wipe her down.

Back