Store bought or homemade tape for timing?

Nice going Bill! My hat is off to you sir! I'm sorry to hear of the continued issue and will be interested to know what's wrong but the thought is that a lean condition is causing heat and the extreme heat is causing the vacuum leak?

still would have to be a four hour round trip. now that we're into overheating problems, the fixes on scene might not be so easy. the issues that saylor, wolfen, and fury440 have or had come to mind. besides, jeff's gotta be figuring out a way to do that video feed...

i say order a reman carb from summit today, it will be to you like tomorrow, set it to stock spec, bolt it on, and see what you got.

Here is the MAIN reason why I advised Alex to bring the car to his mechanic, before he started talking to us on the forum, he did call the carb shop and talked to the owner. The shop owner gave him the typical check everything else runaround, instead of saying , send it back to me. Now as hard as it sounds, Alex may have to take a LEGAL path to get this corrected, and try as we might, no court of law will listen to us, yet will listen to a shop that has been in business for over 30 years. The time has come for him to start a papertrail so he does not get screwed out of anymore money.

. . . Without touching a thing I turned the key and she started right up again, but ran poorly. I pulled on the throttle to get rpms up, but the vacuum was pinned at zero and there was a hissing coming from somewhere.. and the heat off the engine was overwhelming.
Concerned of serious internal damage, I shut it down. . .

You say there is a hissing sound coming from somewhere. You should check your power brake booster. When the internal diaphragm gets old, it tends to crack and deteriorate. That could be the source of your vacuum leak. I had to replace both of the boosters in my two 66 300s for that reason. NAPA is your friend. . .

If that was the case wouldn't it have poor vacuum from the start?

You mentioned losing antifreeze.... Was that lost antifreeze replaced? Level checked etc.?

Sometimes simple stuff gets overlooked when there are other issues.

And I'll be the first to say it... Maybe it's the thermostat.

You mentioned losing antifreeze.... Was that lost antifreeze replaced? Level checked etc.?

Sometimes simple stuff gets overlooked when there are other issues.

And I'll be the first to say it... Maybe it's the thermostat.
Yes, the leak was repaired and the coolant topped off before we started.
Also the temp gauge never rose above operating temperature.

Yes, the leak was repaired and the coolant topped off before we started.
Also the temp gauge never rose above operating temperature.
I figured you probably addressed that... You never know though, I learned to never take things for granted.

Yes. He did say that, but then he suddenly had no vacuum at all. That is what happens when the booster finally goes. . .
Guys, I know EVERYONE has good intentions, and wants to see this car running as much as I do, but PLEASE STOP pulling this guy in twenty different directions.
We all have some knowledge of what we are doing, Alex does not.
The car has to be looked at by someone WITH the knowledge to diagnose it correctly, and be able to document it. If you want to help, grab your tools and go over and look at the car.

Guys, I know EVERYONE has good intentions, and wants to see this car running as much as I do, but PLEASE STOP pulling this guy in twenty different directions.
The car has to be looked at by someone WITH the knowledge to diagnose it correctly, and be able to document it. If you want to help, grab your tools and go over and look at the car.

Alrighty, then. . .!

But this is a forum where we talk about things...

But this is a forum where we talk about things...
I understand that more than anyone, but this poor guy is standing there with the "Deer in the headlights" stare totally lost. This car is his passion just like our's are to us. For him this is turning into a money pit, and just trying to get him on course so he does not take another long one up the tailpipe.

Bill's really right here... and I probably shouldn't have thrown my two cents in, but someone had to mention the thermostat or it wouldn't follow tradition.

Seriously though... We all have our methods of diagnosing issues. Some take it step by step and others jump in where they think the issue is. There are others that just throw expensive parts at the problem and that's always the worst option. The key is to take some sort of common sense approach and stick with it.

I'm glad Bill has taken the time to help him. Now we need to step back and see where it goes.

I agree, so what should we talk about???

Back