Strange problem this a.m.

I never lost pwr to the ignition switch during the entire time......

Typical ignition switch problem.

The black wire is a switched 12v coming from the ignition switch, it powers the turn signal switch, the wipers and half of the fuse box. If this one is worn out that will account for the failing of the turn signals and wipers.
The brown wire from the ignition switch gives 12v to the coil during start, if that one fails or has a bad contact you're starting with only 9v on the coil.

Typical ignition switch problem.

The black wire is a switched 12v coming from the ignition switch, it powers the turn signal switch, the wipers and half of the fuse box. If this one is worn out that will account for the failing of the turn signals and wipers.
The brown wire from the ignition switch gives 12v to the coil during start, if that one fails or has a bad contact you're starting with only 9v on the coil.
Yup,thanks. I had to route through all that last spring b/c the original ign switch failed plus wiring was frayed and the insulation was brittle where it entered the plastic connector. Guess I'll be taking another look at all that plus bulkhead connector.

l luv this forum, got a problem never encountered before, post it here -- get answers. Thanks all.

Working on it right now.
If I had an extra plasma screen I'd setup a video link out there so certain individuals could watch and yell at me about my radiator hose.:fit:

It would be funny if all of us had camera's rolling when working on cars. LOL!!!

....ok, happy? that's it for now....the plastic jar is for the numerous tiny screws so they don't get lost and the same ones can go back in the same way, lol

IMG_4737.jpg

so 6 odd hours later I think I've found the culprit....
I wasn't even really trouble shooting this part either. When I turned the key to start the car I noticed the tiny lamps in oil press/voltmeter gauges did not come on first (same condition that occurred yesterday). These ALWAYS light up first before the key hits the very last position and engages the starter motor. I tried it again and the same thing happened. So on a hunch I flipped the right turn signal lever up....and turned the key once more. BINGO, nothing happened, the turn signal was dead, along with the gauge lamps. Ditto wipers. On the forth and final try they worked properly (gauge lamps, wipers, turn signals came on right before the car started). SO I think there is a dead spot or malfunction in the ignition barrel, or something to that effect. I just installed a new son of a ***** this past spring, so now I've got to take the GD steering column apart to get at this mechanism...again. Problem is there's a tiny "c" clip on the steering shaft that is beat up pretty well from me removing it and putting it back on. I fear it
might break this time around and I bet those can't be had anywhere of course.

So it is time for a big cold glass of chocolate milk and worry about this tomorrow.

IMG_2060.jpg

IMG_4738.jpg

IMG_4740.jpg

IMG_4744.jpg

IMG_4745.jpg

IMG_2060.jpg

Back