Strange Thing Happened Today

rexus31

Reaction score
I went for a cruise today in the 300. After around 10-15 minutes of driving, I came up to a stop sign, stopped and the car quit. I put it in Park, turned the key and it fired right up. I threw it in Drive and continued my cruise without further incident. I'm just curious what could cause this immediate shut down. It's never done that before. The car had been sitting for a few weeks, I'm wondering if that had anything to do with it. Any thoughts?

This one is so easy that I knew the answer before you asked what it was.
Fusible Link. Usually the one closest to the battery.
AMHIK, I dare ya. LOL

This one is so easy that I knew the answer before you asked what it was.
Fusible Link. Usually the one closest to the battery.
AMHIK, I dare ya. LOL

I've only got one at the firewall. Right hand corner of the pic below. If it blew, how did the car start?

Fusible Links don't blow. They act like self resetting circuit breakers. When they heat up from too much amperage draw they break the circuit and reconnect when they cool down. It will drive you nuts chasing that one if you don't know about it.
If I recall correctly, it should be GREEN. Different amperages had different colors.

Fusible Links don't blow. They act like self resetting circuit breakers. When they heat up from too much amperage draw they break the circuit and reconnect when they cool down. It will drive you nuts chasing that one if you don't know about it.
If I recall correctly, it should be GREEN. Different amperages had different colors.

Interesting.

The fusible link actually blew on my 67 Sport Fury. My car guy replaced it with a modern fuse. No issues since.

Did you have anything else electrical on at the time (radio, lights, AC etc)? If so, did it go dead too?

That fusible link feeds the power to literally everything in the car except the horn (which has it's own fusible link)

Did you have anything else electrical on at the time (radio, lights, AC etc)? If so, did it go dead too?

That fusible link feeds the power to literally everything in the car except the horn (which has it's own fusible link)

I don't recall. I just restarted it and went on my way.

Some may be confusing fusible link and circuit breaker. Fusible links can burn the wire and leave the casing intact but I've never seen one reconnect.

I'm not going to get into a huge pissing match over a stinking fusible link.
Fusible links do "blow" and are not reparairable and have to be totally replaced.
Fusible links also degrade where they act like resettable circuit breakers and then need to be totally replaced.
Do what the **** you want.

Fusible Links don't blow. They act like self resetting circuit breakers. When they heat up from too much amperage draw they break the circuit and reconnect when they cool down.

Fusible links do "blow" and are not reparairable and have to be totally replaced.
Fusible links also degrade where they act like resettable circuit breakers and then need to be totally replaced.

Now I'm REALLY confused...........

I'm not going to get into a huge pissing match over a stinking fusible link.

Come on, Stan, I'm bored this morning. Please fight with Dave for my amusement since I'm hung over bad & have nothing better to do....

I'd rather discuss Philosophy of the Nature of Being, Existence, and Reality with you while sharing The hair of the Dog than deal with Dave this morning.

Where can I get a stock replacement Fusible Link?

Edit: I emailed Bill Evans Wiring. We'll see what he comes back with. I had my guy form M & H make me one a while back but it's too short; I'm still running my 1965 original. FWIW, I drove the car about 40 miles today without incident.

Last edited:
Some may be confusing fusible link and circuit breaker. Fusible links can burn the wire and leave the casing intact but I've never seen one reconnect.

I was wrong. I have seen a fuse link reconnect. I should have thought of this sooner, since I used one on my '68 (its what I had). Stan is talking about the later style that is used on his car. It has a built-in connector that comes loose and does exactly what he said. It was not used by the factory until the seventies. The earlier style is either good or bad.

My vert is down with a bad link. I e mailed Evans earlier in the week, said he had nothing. Think I'm going to send him a photo

Back