Stromberg 2bbl choke

MKTSC

Reaction score
So when I got my car (67 Fury VIP with smog-era 400) the choke blade was held open with a piece of wire:

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fc6.staticflickr.com%2F8%2F7561%2F30051048765_69cbc29810_b.jpg

Previous owner said the choke wouldn't pull off, so he just wired it open. I pulled the carb, rebuilt it, and found a NOS pull off diaphragm on eBay. Put carb back on, and the pull off just doesn't have enough *** to retract. You can apply a slight bit of pressure to the pull off rod, and it'll operate, but won't do it under normal engine vacuum. I put a new hose on and verified that I was getting good vacuum from the port on the back of the carb, and I'm getting plenty of vacuum. Wondering if my NOS pull off is bad. I ordered a quality new one from Quadrajetparts.com.

Really hope that fixes it. Also where's a good place to pick up IGN switched 12v for the supplementary heater on the choke thermostat?

Thanks,

-MK

Have you had the coiled end out of the intake manifold yet and cleaned up? Mine had a bunch of gunk and rust on it.

I have not. Although once you manually activate the pull off diaphragm, the choke thermostat works and pulls the choke the rest of the way open.

I wouldn't mind just buying a new choke thermostat to rule that out, but there seem to be multiple ones available, and I'm not sure which one is the right one.

Anybody have a good source?

You could just go this route - For Sale - Stromberg WWC 3-262 Carb

Ive had a heck of a time with mine as well and opted to just buy an intake and four barrel. If this ad would have popped up a week ago, I likely would have bought it.

From your pic it looks like yours has been leaking out of the gaskets as well. I rebuilt mine and put in new gaskets and its still leaked. The bolts kept loosening themselves up which called for LockTite which still didn't solve the leak so I figured it must be warped?

Whats the reason for the 12v? Did you buy an electric choke?

My carb itself is good. Freshly rebuilt, and once warm, is perfect. Car pulls like an electric motor. Just want that cold startability. I have a Weiand dual plane intake, and a trashed Holley 4150 I'm going to rebuild over the winter. Probably a cam and some headers to complete the wakeup. But in the meantime, I just want to get the choke fixed on my existing 2bbl with minimal investment.

My carb itself is good. Freshly rebuilt, and once warm, is perfect. Car pulls like an electric motor. Just want that cold startability. I have a Weiand dual plane intake, and a trashed Holley 4150 I'm going to rebuild over the winter. Probably a cam and some headers to complete the wakeup. But in the meantime, I just want to get the choke fixed on my existing 2bbl with minimal investment.
Sounds like a great plan! Cold starts would be NICE here too. The fall temperature drop really makes it a pain to get it started in the morning. I'm gonna stick around and keep an eye on this thread.

I think I was able to get 12v IGN at the relay over by the left wheel well area. I ran a wire from there to a high current relay wired directly to the battery for any accessory power I may need.

So I got switched 12v from the radio circuit under the dash. Car fires right up on the button, but the choke just isn't pulling off quick enough now. Even when you trip the pull off diaphragm, the spring doesn't heat up quick enough to pull the choke off. So on a nice warm day like today (80 degrees), it fires right up but you have to let the engine get warm for a few minutes before the choke opens enough to be drivable.

Once it IS open, it runs A-1 perfect. Maybe I do need a new choke thermostat...

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

edit: picked this up: 31-75 Carburetor Choke Thermostat - 1974-1976 Chrysler Dodge 360 400 Holley 2BBL

Last edited:
Well a little update. Got a fresh pull off diaphragm in the mail a few days ago from quadrajetparts.com. And that appears to have been the issue. Fired the car, it started right on the button with the choke pulling off immediately. Fast idle works, and for all intents and purposes, I have a fully functional choke and the car starts and runs perfectly now. I couldn't be happier with this old Plymouth.

I still ordered a new choke thermostat, PCV valve and grommet and will install those as added insurance. But for now this thing seems to run perfectly!

I keep telling everybody that carburetor is the greatest street carburetor in the world.
Not sexy but it's almost Fuel Injection in a can.

At first I just wanted to throw speed parts at this 400 to 'unlock' it's potential. But now that it's running and running well, I'm starting to wonder if I should just enjoy it for what it is. A big *** cruiser with two car seats in the back...

It ain't fast, but it pulls like an electric motor...

It ain't fast, but it pulls like an electric motor...
These guys that boast about how they have a 500ci engine with . 600 lift cams and all the sexy buzzword parts (headers, MSD, billet everything... , )
and they come to the forum with. . .
"My car stumbles. I adjusted the idle screws but that didn't work. HELP (cries like a little girl)" . . .
:BangHead:

Sheep. . . :p

I do like the challenge of getting a double pumper with mechanical secondaries tuned properly. I have a few buddies who race and use Holley 4150 based carbs exclusively that I will surely tap for knowledge. But....for pure simplicity and reliability and even good torque. Can't beat a 2bbl...

Back