Tach reads double?

440Chauncey

Reaction score
I have a stock 440 with a standard electronic ignition conversion kit. I just bough a cheap $25 tach on amazon. Its a 5 wire design. Two to run the light and three to run the tachometer itself. I have the green lead hooked up to the negative side of the coil. After starting it shows double the RPM. I confirmed I had the right settings because this tach has an option for 4-6-8 cylinders. Do I have the green wire connected to the coil wrong? Is there anyway to connect the tach directly to the ECU?

Thanks,

The Neg side of the coil is right, sounds like your cheap tach is bad. If you move the 4-6-8 switch does it change anything?

Not trying to be rude in any way but really a 25.00 dollar tach? Even if it worked how could you possibly trust it being anywhere accurate? So why bother? My opinion only. ....

I would get your 25 bucks back....

I would get a decent Auto Meter or a Stewart/Warner tach. Look them up on the Summit website and order through AAP or AZ which usually has a 20% off on line offer.

I ordered through AutoZone online too with the 20% discount. Best deal I could find on Autometer.

Well I mocked up my tach. Too cold to hook it up and my Fury is down for the winter anyways. [She watches re runs of Highway Patrol in the garage!] I wanted one as I am curious what rpm's on the highway and my speedo is off. The autometer tach is small [2 5/8ths] with no shift lights and alarms and no red line. It will only read only to 6000 which is fine for my stock 440. I tried several times to have the pic posted here as I have many times done in the past but today all I get is in a file. I still have to re position it a bit but you get the idea.

Attachments

• 20170105_143100.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 122
Well I mocked up my tach. Too cold to hook it up and my Fury is down for the winter anyways. [She watches re runs of Highway Patrol in the garage!] I wanted one as I am curious what rpm's on the highway and my speedo is off. The autometer tach is small [2 5/8ths] with no shift lights and alarms and no red line. It will only read only to 6000 which is fine for my stock 440. I tried several times to have the pic posted here as I have many times done in the past but today all I get is in a file. I still have to re position it a bit but you get the idea.

Your 5312x2988 picture is too large. I just resized it. :D

tach (Large).jpg

Hey Thank you rag300! How did you do that?

Thanks again. Downloading it now.

I got a 5" sutometer monster tach with built in shift light and memory recall new in the box i will sell ya. It will be a bit more than the $25 special though lol.

Back