For Sale Twin 1987 Buick Grand National Garage Find - Sequential VIN's

Status
Not open for further replies.
If everyone thinks they are shitty cars and poor performers, why are they collectable?
because when they came out they Were the Darth Vader of cars Period.
if you knew someone who had one,you knew what it could do.
those things launched so cool,and would just whine and go.
my friend kenny spent god knows how much rebuilding that thing every month but it sure as hell would go.
and no there wasnt any chevy v-8s out there worth a toss at that time.
in fact wasnt that the soft cam years?
and you couldnt even order a 350 5 speed,only a 305.
performance in a chevy was nonexistent.
the mustangs were ruling the roost back then.

seems like it lasted right into the early 80s?
but kk,didnt matter,
can you name a performance gm car of that era?
please dont say the 80-s vette,that was an embarressment,
the only good thing to come out of those years was the suspension.

seems like it lasted right into the early 80s?
but kk,didnt matter,
can you name a performance gm car of that era?
please dont say the 80-s vette,that was an embarressment,
the only good thing to come out of those years was the suspension.
The Camaro and Firebird were about the best performance offerings from G.M. And they were pieces of crap.

You guts will love this story. From 1981 to 1984 I worked for a big Pontiac dealer in the city. Half the employee parking lot was for the body men and half for the mechanics. I had spot one for the mechanics with my 1977 Gran Fury, The guy who had spot one for the body men had a 1974 Fury III. It used to burn the factory rep up so much to see two Plymouth's parked side by side in the lot.
One day he walks up to me and says, "Why do you drive a Plymouth if you work for Pontiac", To which I replied, "I drive a Plymouth because I work for Pontiac".

You guts will love this story. From 1981 to 1984 I worked for a big Pontiac dealer in the city. Half the employee parking lot was for the body men and half for the mechanics. I had spot one for the mechanics with my 1977 Gran Fury, The guy who had spot one for the body men had a 1974 Fury III. It used to burn the factory rep up so much to see two Plymouth's parked side by side in the lot.
One day he walks up to me and says, "Why do you drive a Plymouth if you work for Pontiac", To which I replied, "I drive a Plymouth because I work for Pontiac".

To be fair though, sometimes when working for a dealer as a repair tech, you will always see the worst of the bunch come rolling in and might get a distorted view of the entire lineup as a result. I spent some time in a Chrysler quality control center where we had a lot of cars come in that needed repairs at low miles, and that gave me somewhat of a distorted view perhaps of the formal cars from Chrysler, as they seemed to have a lot more problems by 40K miles that fuselage and slab side cars did not as Chrysler slid towards bankruptcy and cut costs wherever they could to keep the lights on (but Chrysler's engines and transmissions seemed to be more rugged than the others too - it was all the other things that failed early on and turned customers off) . And Chrysler's lean burn systems were a big problem too and caused them to lose customers hand over fist. Personally I had to do driveability comparisons in those years between Chrysler products and Ford and GM comparative cars. And it was clear that Chrysler products were the worst of the lot. Ford was not far behind and GM seemed better than the other two. I think it is a fair statement that the cars that sold the best in the market place seemed to be the better ones overall. But the best cars back in the 70s were all crap compared to the quality and performance/driveability of todays rolling electronic wonders (as long as something doesn't go wrong at least - and that happens much later in the owner experience than it did in the 70s).

I've heard so many stories of these engines being toasted by 80000 miles.
I still recall the first time I saw one. I had no idea what it was while sitting at the light but it was sinister

To be fair though, sometimes when working for a dealer as a repair tech, you will always see the worst of the bunch come rolling in and might get a distorted view of the entire lineup as a result. I spent some time in a Chrysler quality control center where we had a lot of cars come in that needed repairs at low miles, and that gave me somewhat of a distorted view perhaps of the formal cars from Chrysler, as they seemed to have a lot more problems by 40K miles that fuselage and slab side cars did not as Chrysler slid towards bankruptcy and cut costs wherever they could to keep the lights on (but Chrysler's engines and transmissions seemed to be more rugged than the others too - it was all the other things that failed early on and turned customers off) . And Chrysler's lean burn systems were a big problem too and caused them to lose customers hand over fist. Personally I had to do driveability comparisons in those years between Chrysler products and Ford and GM comparative cars. And it was clear that Chrysler products were the worst of the lot. Ford was not far behind and GM seemed better than the other two. I think it is a fair statement that the cars that sold the best in the market place seemed to be the better ones overall. But the best cars back in the 70s were all crap compared to the quality and performance/driveability of todays rolling electronic wonders (as long as something doesn't go wrong at least - and that happens much later in the owner experience than it did in the 70s).
I agree whole heartedly. To me the biggest problem during to 70's and 80's was quality control from all the auto makers. We all know how bad Chrysler's "Lean Burn" system was, but by 1981 their "Electronic Spark Control" system worked very well. It was a way better system than G.M.'s "Computer Command Control" system, and Ford with their "Variable Venturi Carburetor" was the absolute worst. To me it all boils down to putting a system in place and not enough time to test them properly. I have seen the public do things with an automobile, the factories would never dream up in a torture test.

It was the worst of times.
I would love to hit the rewind button back to post WW II.
Make America Great Again.

It was the worst of times.
I would love to hit the rewind button back to post WW II.
Make America Great Again.
Stan, America is on the way to being great again. The biggest change is today when something is made and there is a problem it is repaired before it leaves the factory and not let the dealer worry about it.

Stan, America is on the way to being great again. The biggest change is today when something is made and there is a problem it is repaired before it leaves the factory and not let the dealer worry about it.
You brought back memories. As a kid I worked in the Service Dept of a Chevy dealership in the late 60's. I palled around with the kid who did new car prep and inspection. The way the cars came off the truck you just would not believe. Well, YOU would. lol

You brought back memories. As a kid I worked in the Service Dept of a Chevy dealership in the late 60's. I palled around with the kid who did new car prep and inspection. The way the cars came off the truck you just would not believe. Well, YOU would. lol
When I was with Pontiac we had about one a month we pushed off the delivery truck.

pushed off the delivery truck
Makes me wonder: how did they get it on the transport truck?
blackcarhauler.jpg

Makes me wonder: how did they get it on the transport truck?
View attachment 122929

That I do not know. Some of them were because they were started and moved so much before the engines warmed up. The spark plugs would be fouled so bad, and a ton of gas in the oil. One day one of the other mechanic's forgot to disconnect the coil wire and when he cranked over the engine BAM, one hell of a fire. That is the day I found out the fire extinguisher in my stall was bad. You should have seen us clean that mess up.

After reading this thread you guys understand why I got out of the dealership game and went to work for the railroad.

Too funny! I worked for a Chevy dealer as a service writer in 1979, the absolute nadir for anything remotely performance in America - the fastest US production car then was the Dodge 'Lil Red Express! Anyway, I wore my Direct Connection jacket to work one day. The service manager griped me out about it, to which I asked him "Are you going to provide me with a Chevy jacket like the others have? If not, this is what I have to wear, your choice!"

After reading this thread you guys understand why I got out of the dealership game and went to work for the railroad.

Working for the railroad is a great choice regardless of your previous experiences. The money and benefits are pretty damn good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back