Varmints!

Mr C

Reaction score
I took the T&C out for a spin since the weather was finally good enough for it to come out of storage. I opened the door and the stench nearly knocked me over! Clearly a mouse got into the car...I found eaten seeds and droppings on the carpet.
Based on the smell I think it got under the dash and died in there somewhere.

Great.

I've used moth balls in the past to dissuade varmints but that smell is almost as bad. What do you guys use?

Dryer sheets around the outside of the car, in the exhaust pipes and air cleaner ports, on top of the tires and in the car. I also put a mouse trap in the car. Most of the time the dryer sheets keep them out, but sometimes they can still go in. I caught one the other day, but because they go straight for the trap they get nailed rather than chewing on the wires.

This winter I have surrounded the perimeter with about 15 mouse traps with peanut butter [super chunk Jiffy style lol} Near the back of the garage a few leftover poison pellets. I won't use them again once gone . But no one has touched them. Also I use 5 ultrasonic pest repellers beaming all over the place and between the cars. At first I caught alot in the fall but these last few months hardly any at all.

I have used the d-con bait stations for mouse and rats, I put one in the trunk and on the interior floors front and back seats for each car.

I use the Bounce dryer sheets and they stay out of both cars. 2 in the front seat, 2 in the back seat and 2 in the trunk.

I use the Bounce dryer sheets and they stay out of both cars. 2 in the front seat, 2 in the back seat and 2 in the trunk.

Don't forget at least one under the hood. What I understand the name brand "Bounce" will last longer than others (original scent).

IDK about effectiveness, I have not had a serious problem... yet. I have an ultrasonic device, but I don't believe in it. I use glue traps around the perimeter wall and dryer sheets in the cars.

Poison is not an option, as much as I wanted to. I have the additional bonus of "Rascal", the neighbor's adopted feral. He's neutered and hasn't pissed on anything I've noticed and he's an excellent killer. Viv feeds him treats all the time and he regularly returns the favor with a gift at the doorstep.

Anything that gets inside has the 2 fat ones to contend with, I do enjoy watching them... but Viv steals their lizards when she can get them before they show up in the litter box (you would think they would have a better digestive system for handling the kill). None of the cats have access to the cars, but they maintain a pretty good "kill zone" perimeter for anything foolish enough to try.

I have 2 cats ( the ex took my dog) but they have to be inside cats. We have too many predators roaming around the neighborhood. Coyotes, foxes, bald eagles, etc. You don't ever see a cat outdoors around here. Perils of living on the Chesapeake Bay and on the edge of the 80,000 acres of Aberdeen Proving Ground.

damn. +1 a whole box of dryer sheets.

-1 on PCB / mothballs

glue traps around the storage area of the car

poison traps if you arent playin around

careful not to glue trap your cat

or if you have hawks and stuff around dont use poison

i just got through removing varmints from an RV trailer. it took a few months of battle, of weekly trap setting and full cleanings. it fkn sucked. and they destroyed so much.

keeeeeel those little bastiges.

Well, spring cleaning on the T&C complete. Found the nest and am again varmint and stench free. Also got the Imperial vacuumed out and mufflers off.

Also got the Auto temp II working again through the dash vents since I had the dash apart.

17577739_1129134333898481_1306860111_n.jpg
17758100_1129134360565145_484986954_n.jpg
17758160_1129134387231809_1278522877_n.jpg

What was the ailment and the cure?
In Vent and Lo/ Hi Auto it would not blow air through the dash vents. It would only blow through the defrost mode vents. I replaced the electric black box (amplifier?) with one of many I had lying around and voila, works in all modes now.
Everything on Autotemp can be checked fairly easily, (servo, vacuum lines, controller etc) except the black box...it is the unknown. So once I verified the other pieces, by elimination, it was the black box. Now I just have to replace the leaking condenser to get my A/C back (it's always something!). While I'm at it I'm thinking of redoing the lines and a Sanden swap.

0008350157.jpg

Back