Walker Muffler Question

63Fun

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just got a Walker SoundFX 18200 muffler, and went to install it yesterday and ran into a possible issue. This muffler was set up and intended for my application.
The pipe that is closest to the stamped "outlet" words is actually the inlet (from the engine).

The muffler doesn't work when installed the other way. As shown in my first and second picture, there are indents in the outer skin, which made me believe that the inside guts are directional. Could the outer faces have been welded on the wrong side?

IMG_8970.JPG
IMG_8966.JPG
IMG_8969.JPG

Last edited:
I think you can order most mufflers with different positions for the inlet and outlet pipes, did you specify these when you ordered the muffler?

I think you can order most mufflers with different positions for the inlet and outlet pipes, did you specify these when you ordered the muffler?

Sorry, I didn't specify that before (I just edited my original post). The muffler is set up the same as the previous one that I had, and it is intended for my car.

I just got off the phone with the tech department at walker muffler. I was told to disregard the outlet stamping. It's placement has been an issue before.

Just install it with the inlet as the offset, and the outlet as the center pipe. This is also confirmed through the pipe diameters, since the inlet is wider than the outlet.

Well guys, all this time later, and I am still at it. I sent back the muffler and got another 18200 muffler for the issue that follows.

My engine pipe OD is 2.5"
The muffler ID is 2.25"
But the engine pipe is supposed to fit INTO the muffler, not the other way around.

Can anyone please confirm for me the pipe from the manifolds on a stock 63 New Yorker with a 413 is supposed to be 2.5" OD? I'm having trouble locating this info in the manual.

Last edited:
Just head up to any auto parts store and grab whatever reducer fittings to get you where you need to be.

Just head up to any auto parts store and grab whatever reducer fittings to get you where you need to be.

Ya, but two things. Wouldn't that really choke the engine off?

And the muffler was supposed to be a direct fit. So if they are mistaken in what they think is correct I would like to let them know.

Do you know the OD of the engine pipe for these cars? The service manual only shows diagrams, but no specs on the exhaust pipes.

Stock engine? I'm guessing you're not going to choke the engines exhaust capacity.

Stock engine? I'm guessing you're not going to choke the engines exhaust capacity.

Yes.
Probably not, but since it's already being choked down to a single I figured I'd want to minimize it as much as possible.

Just to give you guys an update
Walker's site had my engine pipe at 2.25," when it was in fact 2.5." After getting the correct muffler (17803), I was able to install it in the car. It pretty must sounds exactly as it did before (stock, or as close as I can assume) which was exactly what I was looking for.
Thanks for recommending that muffler guys!

The inlet is serving as the outlet to the tailpipe and the outlet is serving as the inlet from the front pipe from the y pipe

The inlet is serving as the outlet to the tailpipe and the outlet is serving as the inlet from the front pipe from the y pipe

Ah. Mine had that too, which didn't make sense for me. But walker said that most are mislabeled.

Back