What kind of bright work is it.

commando1

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
There's usually three types if bright work we have to deal with on the exterior of our cars;
chromed steel, anodized aluminum, and stainless steel.
Figuring out if it's chromed steel is a no-brainer. Use a magnet.
I have a tough time differentiating between the anodized aluminum and the stainless.
Yes, I know aluminum is lighter by weight but it's pretty hard to tell by weight if it's a small trim piece.
Any suggestions?
The reason I ask is, you can buff SS like crazy to make it look as good as new but if you mistakenly buff the aluminum, you've removed the anodizing and it looks like $%#@. And it always will.

If it were me, I would try testing the backside of the trim if it is accessible. That way if you mess it up, its not a big deal. No one would ever see it once its put back on

Also called pot metal. Chromed and used on most 60s cars for things like trim and grills. Very expensive to restore.

I have lots of that stinking pot metal and I'm not looking forward to that cost. I will not be doing that this year.

On formals,all of the exterior chrome trim is anodized aluminum (trim around glass, on top of doors), chrome plated pot metal (door handles, mirrors, cornering light, turn signal, tail light bezels, grille), or chrome steel (bumpers, bumper guards). There is even some chrome plated plastic (taillight highlights, rear side marker lights).
The only stainless on a formal that I can think of is the strip pressed onto the glass with the rubber seal. The only pieces on a formal that I haven't had rechromed are the "halo top" trim, which is mostly painted anyway..those look loke anodized aluminum too, but I can't say for sure.

On formals,all of the exterior chrome trim is anodized aluminum (trim around glass, on top of doors), chrome plated pot metal (door handles, mirrors, cornering light, turn signal, tail light bezels, grille), or chrome steel (bumpers, bumper guards). There is even some chrome plated plastic (taillight highlights, rear side marker lights).
The only stainless on a formal that I can think of is the strip pressed onto the glass with the rubber seal. The only pieces on a formal that I haven't had rechromed are the "halo top" trim, which is mostly painted anyway..those look loke anodized aluminum too, but I can't say for sure.

On the stainless front, I forgot to mention the wheel lip trim- those are stainless on formal Imperials/ NYB, anodized on Newports.

Back