Where to buy quality ignition points?

I usually also go with the Blue Streak points if I can find them, and change them every few years. The problem I have been having is with a descent condenser. Last year in my 66 Belvedere, I went through 4 sets of points on the way to Carlisle before I tracked it down to the condenser. I ended up putting in an old one that a friend who was traveling with us still with him. The new ignition parts they make now; have given me nothing but problems. Can't seem to find any decent stuff anymore. Ended up buying 10 sets of NOS points & condensers and a 2 spare ignition coils. Hopefully it should hold me over for a few years between all the cars.

Haven't had any problems with a condenser yet from Blue Streak,, Russian Roulette I fear.

Is dielectric grease ok to use? That's what I have been using on my points.
absolutely not it can conduct and ground out the points system.. I have been using cam lube since the 70;s same as what comes in the little pills you get with nos mopar points. Just a small amount is needed.

Last edited:
I usually also go with the Blue Streak points if I can find them, and change them every few years. The problem I have been having is with a descent condenser. Last year in my 66 Belvedere, I went through 4 sets of points on the way to Carlisle before I tracked it down to the condenser. I ended up putting in an old one that a friend who was traveling with us still with him. The new ignition parts they make now; have given me nothing but problems. Can't seem to find any decent stuff anymore. Ended up buying 10 sets of NOS points & condensers and a 2 spare ignition coils. Hopefully it should hold me over for a few years between all the cars.
I find almost a 50% fail rate on the condensers on the newer stuff. They short out when they get hot. Blue streak is prob the best out there now that are commonly available. This is one of the items the older the better. I came into a hoard of delco points/cond and have not have had one fail yet they are prob early 80's.

Last edited:
I'm using standard ign products from rock auto, very careful how long ignition is on without turning (very bad for point life). I'm using old condensers.

Why not convert to electronic and hide the module?
Could probably stuff a newer VR pickup plate into an older cast-iron housing to help with appearance?

Pertronix is completely hidden, but I don't want to. I like the whole idea of an antiquated mechanical Doo hicky turning off and on my coil while rubbing on something.:rolleyes:

Says the guy that likes to harvest exhaust gas energy to increase volumetric efficiency. :p

I've done VERY well buying NOS Mopar 2098244 Ignition Points off ePay. Have a stash of about 6 right now. I put about 10k mi per annum on Mathilda and usually one change per yr is good to keep her purring. They come w the lube too.

Back