Where was this Mopar Brochure/Ad Photo shot?

66-73-1.jpg

This is the Chrysler Styling Center ("Dome") at the old Chrysler Corporation HQ in Highland Park Michigan.

66-73-2.jpg

Photo above courtesy all par. Chrysler’s Highland Park Headquarters

66-73-21.jpg

This is the current location above in Google Earth. I am not sure but most ALL the Chrysler buildings are gone or heavily renovated. Magna has a new plant there, Coca Cola has something new there now, etc. The Design dome is certainly gone and I put a red circle about where it would have been.

Both photos looks northeasterly. The complex was roughly bounded by Oakland (west), Davison Freeway (north), Chrysler Freeway I-75 (east), and Caniff Ave (south). The EAST border is probably that Grand Trunk rail line (that linked to Dodge Main, Lynch Rd, further SOUTH in Detroit) that runs parallel to I-75 for a few miles. When you cross that GT rail line to the EAST, its actually Hamtramck I think.

Dobalovr and I exchanged PM's. He posted he knew the location -- and he was correct -- just 10 minutes before rapidtrans did. Carmine knew as well.

When dobalovr volunteered to stand down and let the "game" run, and rapidtrans independently chimed in, I tried to "moonwalk" a bit in Post #78 to also let the game run. then Carmine chimed in. So my apologies to rapidtrans and Carmine for the misdirection -- just trying to let someone else "win" :)

The clues:

1. Self evident now. Chrysler moved to Auburn Hills (up the road about 20 miles from Highland Park) and the old site mostly razed.

2. Self-evident too. The current photo shows the location is still "industrial" with physical dimensions unchanged.

3. The "tricky" clue.. Highland Park Michigan is separate city WITHIN the boundaries of Detroit physically. Detroit grew around it .. and like Hamtramck, Detroit never annexed Highland Park. Practically, its ALL Detroit. Actually, it is NOT.

To solve this, and IF your browser is capable, in Chrome you can RIGHT click the photo of the Cordoba, do a Image Search in Google, and then the WHOLE ad comes up as a selection. The text UNDER the picture identifies the location in the first paragraph.

So IF you didnt know it was the Design Dome on sight as I (and others probably) did, if you found the ad, you found the answer to this EZ version of the "game" :)

66-73-3.jpg

Last edited:
Let's try old school.

This is a 1962 Chrysler New Yorker.

Three hints - no tricks but havin' a little fun :)

1. This is New York City
2. This is New York City
3. This is New York City

But where is it IN New York City? I cropped the ad text as it was unreadable but of no consequence anyway (you can find it out there).

Also, the photograph appears as a standalone shot by William Helburn (interesting character apparently) and Chrysler used a cropped (and shopped, or maybe recreated it -- look around the carriage for things they added) version of it for this ad. I posted that photo too.

The "winner" has to simply but precisely fill in the blanks: "The New Yorker is on ......... turning left onto .........." .

I also added the current Google Street View photo of the location as well below. The '62 was at that corner by the stop light making its left turn. Sorry its fuzzy .. its cropped from a much bigger Google Street photo and enlarged to approximate the Helburn photo scale.

I categorize this as "easy" IF you study the photos. If its not coming to you within a few minutes, then this one is "hard" and I wouldn't waste a bunch of time in the car with Mr. Peg-man driving around NYC looking for this spot. :)

66-72-8.jpg

66-72-81.jpg

66-72-82.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm ... let's try revised clues to see if that helps move this along.

1. This is still New York City.
2. Find the "rhyton" (I didn't know what that was until today) IN the ad.
3. A HUGE clue to this location is IN THIS THREAD.

4. "Extra Credit" hint (i just noticed this today when I posted the current photo of the location) and then a question for the "winner": The ad photo cannot "legally" be recreated today - Why not?

Answer that question, and along with identifying this location - "The New Yorker is on ......... turning left onto .........." - and you get TWO bad a** baby memes. If not, just the ONE bad a** baby for the winner. :)

In two days I will post the answer if nobody solves it by then.

Turning left from 59th onto 5th Ave in front for the Plaza hotel.
I thought it looked familiar. We stayed at the Plaza in '03. You can see the other half of the building in these photos
Oct 2003 New York and cruise 043.jpg

Oct 2003 New York and cruise 045.jpg

And this is the intersection in question.
Oct 2003 New York and cruise 050.jpg

Oh yeah, you can't turn left down the one way 5th Ave.

Last edited:
You Canadian folks seem to know your way around the USA :). Nice photos btw - thanks! The Plaza is a great place ... pricey as I recall but the Midtown location is great to get anywhere you want in NYC.

300rag, did it just "hit you", or did "better" hints help/confuse things?

1 rhyton.jpg

The clues: This 1962 ad photo is a bit to the EAST of the Pulitzer Fountain in NYC. The "rhyton" (see red arrow), far right in the 1962 ad (its blurred in the other two shots) is an adornment to that fountain. Pulitzer Fountain was the answer to the first game in this thread (Post #31) for the 1979 New Yorker Fifth Avenue edition.

And yes for "extra credit", beginning in 1966, Fifth Avenue became ONE WAY south. So of course today, you cannot "legally" make a LEFT from 59th St (also called "Central Park South" along the south end of the Park) onto Fifth Avenue.

Oh, THIS is a "rhyton". Rhyton - Wikipedia

1 rhyton.jpg

Last edited:
You Canadian folks seem to know your way around the USA :). Nice photos btw - thanks! The Plaza is a great place ... pricey as I recall but the Midtown location is great to get anywhere you want in NYC.

300rag, did it just "hit you", or did "better" hints help/confuse things?...
Us Canucks aren't just a pretty face. The building and the horse drawn carriage is what put me in the spot. Here are a couple of shots of the hotel room. It was our 30th anniversary and we were headed out for a cruise.

Oct 2003 New York and cruise 002.jpg

Oct 2003 New York and cruise 003a.JPG

Oct 2003 New York and cruise 004.jpg

We get a freebie here before we move on.

I just posted this to C Body Bobs Vintage Chrysler Ads thread .. and then just finally looked at it closely. We now know this basic location -- but NOT from this vantage point. Answer below pic IF you didn't get it already :)

66-72-0.jpg

Behind the car is the Pulitzer Fountain. ON the driver side (right side of photo) is the Sherman Monument, North of 59th Street at Fifth Avenue.

This view can't easily be captured in a photo because (a) of the distance between the Pulitzer Fountain (almost 100 yards) and the Sherman Monument and (b) Sherman's statue is FACING the Fountain making the illustration impossible.

Anyway, Chrysler has been diggin' this particular location for ads for years -- even in the illustrated ads where they take a few "liberties" with the real thing as we know. :)

66-72-00.jpg

66-72-000.JPG

66-72-0000.jpg

Last edited:
So last night i nearly drove myself insane googling Roman Rhyton Statue New York found the same pic but closest I got was the Grand Army Bldg. i knew it was around 5th and Central Park because of the horse & carriage. Here is where i gave up
image.png

So last night i nearly drove myself insane googling Roman Rhyton Statue New York found the same pic but closest I got was the Grand Army Bldg. i knew it was around 5th and Central Park because of the horse & carriage. Here is where i gave up
View attachment 94296

ah..i see your angle. :) You were right there at 58th and Fifth Ave - just a block way.

The fountain rhyton (it has two) on the east side is in the ad. Its in the other two pics but hard to see.

300rag recognized the carriage too and facades and knew it was near the Plaza Hotel and Central Park.

i have never taken a NYC carriage ride as i was hardly ever in NYC for fun . i hear they are neat tho..

hope you get a chance to nail down the location of Black '62 in the new game. after that one, the hard stuff comes.

Last edited:
New Game, still OLD School.

A 1962 Chrysler New Yorker print ad.

66-72-81.jpg

Three clues -- no tricks, just facts.

1. This is STILL New York City.
2. The location is within 3/4 of a mile of the Plaza Hotel in Midtown Manhattan.
3. The street view changed since 1961 but ONE building, despite the view BEHIND IT having changed RADICALLY, may be KEY to solving this one.

4. "Extra Credit" clue. Provide the real birth name of the OWNER of the ONE building referred to in Clue 3 and why this person is "infamous".

This is the last "easy" ad I can find but I will keep looking. The next ones I do (hope somebody else does some tho) are "harder".

I was not able to nail down the EXACT street intersection here. So the "winner" for this one has to simply but precisely fill in the blanks: "The New Yorker is on ......... roughly between .......... and .......... " . You do not need to provide a current street view unless you want to. If you are sure of the EXACT spot, please indicate that.

Answer the "Extra Credit question" , along with identifying this location, and you get TWO bad a** baby memes. If not, just the ONE bad a** baby for the winner. :)

If you are a past "winner", and if you don't mind if someone else "wins", just PM me and I will let you know if you got it right. Your call either way -- it may be hard to stand aside if you KNOW it -- and thats cool by me.

In three days (Monday Morning) I will post the answer if nobody solves it by then.

Last edited:
Last night just a couple hours after the Black '62 New Yorker game started, a member PM'd me with the correct solution AND the answer to the "extra credit" clue.

That member has opted to "let the game run", since they identified it so quickly, to allow others who dig these puzzles to carry on. If someone else solves the game, they get to share the accolades with this gracious member. :)

These "puzzles" do take a bit of work to solve -- even the "easy" ones -- as those of us who have tried this know.

And when some others of you "host" a game, that also takes it bit of work as well doing the advance preparation to be ready confirm/illuminate guesses, and/or to provide the answers.

Anyway, if no one else solves this Black '62 game by Monday morning, I will post the answers then and recognize our unidentified "winner".

66-72-81.jpg

1970cat correctly identified this location and answered the "extra credit" question early but opted to let the game run. Congratulations and thanks 1970cat :)

This New Yorker is facing EAST on Park Avenue, roughly between 49st and 51st Street. These buildings along Park Avenue have changed so its hard to tell exactly which cross-street.

The key to solve this is the building at the middle of the photo (SOUTH) is the the Helmsley Building at 46th Street. Behind the Helmsley in the 1962 ad, you can see the steel skeleton of what would become the PanAm building (now MetLife).

The current Google Street photo below is at 49th St. To me, that looked about as far away from the the Helmsley as in the "62 photo but I am not sure.

66-72-80.jpg

The "extra credit" question. The key building owner, birth name Lena Mindy Rosenthal, married a billionaire, later convicted and jailed for tax evasion, was the "infamous" Leona Helmsley ("only the little people pay taxes"). Yes, that's her real mug shot. She died a few years back.

1.jpg

Trivia. The 1998 Godzilla movie (with Matthew Broderick) had a SFX-CGI scene in it, from the OTHER side (Grand Central Terminal side) of the MetLife Building (looking NORTH thru the hole).

The monster apparently was on Park Avenue and tore through the MetLife Building. I guess Godzilla ate the Helmsley Building first cuz its gone :)

66-72-801.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like were are six out of seven, plus one I threw in for the 'black 59 Imp because it was in the same place as the 1979 New Yorker and the 1962 White New Yorker, so 7 out of 8 "puzzles" solved.

NEW GAME.

This is a 2016 Chrysler 200C Limited "Platinum Edition"

66-72-01.jpg

I did NOT know this location when I first saw the picture. I have never been to this location either.

It took me about 45 minutes to find this location -- dunno if that's fast or slow, but just pointing it out for your reference.

Anyway, I would call this a puzzle "medium" difficulty -- IF you don't know this location on sight it'll take some time to ID it.

The clues:

1. This particular picture has been shopped (NOT by me but by the photographer) to remove a key building identification - so you may need to find another relevant picture of THIS car (it does NOT need to be the Platinum Edition -- just a 2016 model year Chrysler 200) with THIS particular skyline to help you.

2. Though a big "sports" town, the city in the background has ONE professional sports team .. but its NOT an NBA, NHL, MLB, or NFL team.

3. That's a major river between the car and the city skyline, and the car is in a different US state than the background skyline.

PM me to verify your guess if you wanna to let the game run. You will be recognized at the end in any event. If nobody solves it after 3-4 days, I will post the answer then.

Last edited:
Puzzle in Post #97 has been correctly identified.

As a past "winner", the member is gonna let it ride .. and be recognized alongside another "winner" at the end if it gets solved..

Maybe someone who hasnt won yet can nail this one down? We'll see. Thanks in advance to anyone giving it a shot in any event. :)

66-72-01.jpg

This game was solved by Dobalovr. A repeat winner. :) Thanks again for participating in the game and for some fine sleuthing. If you get a sec, tell us how you found it?

The city in the background is Lousiville Kentucky. The car is across the Ohio River in Jeffersonville Indiana.

To solve this, I Google Searched the image, to get to several websites where this photo could be found. On a couple of sites, there were OTHER photos that had the Platinum 200 and other 200's. Here is an example.

1 purse.JPG

A different 2016 model, BUT same skyline. IF you look toward the left middle for photo, you see two things. A cantilever bridge over the river. Also a low, silver, rectangular building with signage that was shopped out of the white car photo. I enlarged it but STILL couldn't read it.

1 purse 1.jpg

So I searched for things in the picture: "cantilevered bridge over Mississippi River", then "cantilevered bridge over Ohio River". Nothing. Then i tried "domed skyscrapers in Midwest". Up popped Louisville KY, among other cities, and then I got to this photo and I knew I found it.

66-72-012.jpg

The clues:

1. The shopped photo with Platinum car hides the KFC Yum Center on the river.

1 purse 3.jpg

2. Louisville is one of the ten largest metropolitan areas with over 1M People and just ONE MAJOR league team -- professional soccer -- but NO NFL, MLB, NBA, or NHL teams. But they DO have "Louisville Slugger" manufacturer Hillerich & Bradsby, several minor league baseball teams, and a heckuva college football and basketball teams at University of Louisville.

3. The Ohio River again separates Indiana and Kentucky. Like the Mississippi, its got that "muddy" look which I recognized but didnt know the city.

That's it for this one. AGain, maybe Dobalovr will weight in and tell us how he solved this one. :)

Basically I looked up Chrysler 200 media photos and found the posted photo in a file labeled Louisville Skyline. Got lucky early on. :)

Great keyword-phrase search term! Very efficient way to start the pursuit :)

Last edited:
Basically I looked up Chrysler 200 media photos and found the posted photo in a file labeled Louisville Skyline. Got lucky early on. :)

Back