Will 1971-1974 Chrysler steering wheels fit on 1975-1978 formals

Thanks for the technical info. Also, put me down for the dark blue one also!!

For example: If someone can post a pic of a 1974-3-2-1 wheel for an Imperial/New Yorker....they're a little larger in circumference than the'75-8's. They're the ones that have the "horn blow" in the wheel itself. These damn 1975-'78 wheels are all cracked , horn pads falling off...not real good quality and the older ones just don't crack, very rarely crack. Can find several of these in decent condition so that's why I'mm inquiring! Thanks for any help.

They all crack, even the earlier ones, best thing is to have it redone, you'll be glad you did

Nobody wants to buy my NOS red T&T wheel?
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTxt0I0gYeGiFD1pfdwZpLZYMgAXQKFg5Janp_OaXHgO7QTWPXc.png
If it were rim blow it would be black already... I am pretty sure the cheap aftermarket lace-up cover is the only thing holding the parts car wheel together... I am afraid to investigate because I see 5 cracks at the spokes...

Polara '71: Having it redone.....I think that's the path to take! And really, if you stop and think about it, even if you find an NOS one (and they're usually scratched up a little) that'll run you $300-$500 and they won't be perfect. Restoration, as I said earlier, will probably run you $200-$300 tops....and you have it finished in the color you want.

I think the price will be higher, closer to five but that depends on how bad the wheel is and the vintage

Several have mentioned their wheels were about a grand. 5 seems low.

Could be. From what I understand it depends on the type of wheel and how bad it is damaged. If its one of those early 60s clear wheels I could see a grand easy

Yes.... Big $$$ if there is a re-cast involved or a 50's-60'clear. I've called three different restorers and if it's a few minor cracks on wheels from the late '60's-70's it'll be in the $250-$350...maybe a little more but not much. I was told the plastic on the later stuff is easier to repair but also doesn't weather as well either!

Looking forward to seeing pictures of both sides of the steering wheel after restoration and before you put it back on the car.

Yes.... Big $$$ if there is a re-cast involved or a 50's-60'clear. I've called three different restorers and if it's a few minor cracks on wheels from the late '60's-70's it'll be in the $250-$350...maybe a little more but not much. I was told the plastic on the later stuff is easier to repair but also doesn't weather as well either!

Robert, any photos of your current wheel?

No I don't and I do not have the proper equipment to get a photo and then post it on this forum. However, a car that I am going to pick up in 10 days is listed with 3 photos on "1977 New Yorker for Sale" on "C Bodies Only".... it's dark blue. And also has a cracked steering wheel! Oh by the way, the fender skirts are in the trunk for those that look! just bought 4 new whitewalls that will be put on the car before I pick it up! Going to driver her home!

No I don't and I do not have the proper equipment to get a photo and then post it on this forum. However, a car that I am going to pick up in 10 days is listed with 3 photos on "1977 New Yorker for Sale" on "C Bodies Only".... it's dark blue. And also has a cracked steering wheel! Oh by the way, the fender skirts are in the trunk for those that look! just bought 4 new whitewalls that will be put on the car before I pick it up! Going to driver her home!
Enjoy your trip, and good luck.

Hey guys.... I want to correct myself about some steering wheel info we discussed a few months ago. The cost for a recast for a 1957 - 1974 New Yorker/Imperial or most models/years is $1600! At the time I thought is was much less. At the time we discussed the 1971 -1974 cost for repairs and a recast of a T&T wheel....I was way off! There are a couple guys I've found that have the molds for different years and models. Also, one guy in San Diego won't do recasts of 1970's at all! D&D Automobilia will do any wheel recast and has a 6 month back log! Seems like he (Bob) is recommended by several scources! However, I'm still looking for a 1971-1974 Blue T&T....Any help would be appreciated.

Another direction might be finding a leather wrapped steering wheel out a 76-78 Charger. Or just a regular steering wheel out of a Charger. Not sure of the years range on Chargers. It'll need a little lathe work to work on a Formal which is easy.

I bought this leather wrapped one for $50 out of a 77 wrecked Daytona Charger........no more worries about it cracking.

DSC01969 - Copy.JPG

Another direction might be finding a leather wrapped steering wheel out a 76-78 Charger. Or just a regular steering wheel out of a Charger. Not sure of the years range on Chargers. It'll need a little lathe work to work on a Formal which is easy.

I bought this leather wrapped one for $50 out of a 77 wrecked Daytona Charger........no more worries about it cracking.

View attachment 122786
I saw that a while back.....Great price!
Yep... when you fall across a stash of these, I'll take a couple in black...:rolleyes:

View attachment 122786

Leather wrapped steering wheels were standard on '78 Salons. Did you keep the Dodge horn pad?

Leather wrapped steering wheels were standard on '78 Salons. Did you keep the Dodge horn pad?

Yep in grey or red I believe.

The blue Dodge horn pad was torn. Looked like a razor cut. Wasn't much left of the car after the tree fell on it. The right side A-pillar and roof was smashed. I had to remove the steering wheel standing outside the car and reaching in.

Back