Wiring Harness

Mopar001

Reaction score
I'm looking to replace my engine bay wiring harness on my 70 300HURST, and I can not find one. Will one from a 70 Charger fit? Just thinking about it, it seems as though it would. Both have 440 with A/C and Hide away head lights..

No. They are different. Most people make them for the Dodge and Plymouth, but they are incorrect for the Chrysler's.

Is anyone basing their "no" answers on looking at a manual or actual experience? I think it's an interesting question. To the Original Poster...

I would first sit down with the factory service manuals for both cars and compare the utilization of each of the bulkhead terminals. For example, does location 1 correspond to parking lamps for both? Did Chrysler have "rules" for terminal block usage back then? I have no idea, but there were obviously rules on wire color coding.

If they are electrically similar, the next question would be if the lengths are adequate. We all know the C is a bigger car, but a Charger is no Valiant, and it's got plenty of overhang to get to those headlights.

If I were in a position of needing a harness vs. a simple repair, I'd certainly investigate starting with the comparison of each terminal. You might have to be the guy who blazes this trail.

Download a parts manual here: MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - Parts & Accessories Books

Section 8-15 gives part numbers for the various harnesses. A quick glance doesn't show any of the same part numbers being used for the lighting harness for the Charger and 300, but it was just a quick glance.

MrMoparCHP has the best answer for the question.

Is anyone basing their "no" answers on looking at a manual or actual experience? I think it's an interesting question. To the Original Poster...

I would first sit down with the factory service manuals for both cars and compare the utilization of each of the bulkhead terminals. For example, does location 1 correspond to parking lamps for both? Did Chrysler have "rules" for terminal block usage back then? I have no idea, but there were obviously rules on wire color coding.

If they are electrically similar, the next question would be if the lengths are adequate. We all know the C is a bigger car, but a Charger is no Valiant, and it's got plenty of overhang to get to those headlights.

If I were in a position of needing a harness vs. a simple repair, I'd certainly investigate starting with the comparison of each terminal. You might have to be the guy who blazes this trail.

WOW! What a great well thought out response!

Download a parts manual here: MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - Parts & Accessories Books

Section 8-15 gives part numbers for the various harnesses. A quick glance doesn't show any of the same part numbers being used for the lighting harness for the Charger and 300, but it was just a quick glance.

MrMoparCHP has the best answer for the question.

Also a great answer. Keep in mind, that the parts catalogs show the part numbers for the Service replacement parts, not the original Production part numbers.

Now, just to be a $#!t disturber, is there a chance that the harness from a Plymouth Sport Suburban with hidden headlights would swap in? Both cars are "C" bodies, and both have hidden headlights. Hint: The answer lies in Carmine's posting.

Thank you all for the information. I think as for right now, I will try to repair what is wrong. Long term I will remove the old one and ship it to Evans and have them make one for me..

Here is the difference in the harnesses, all "C" body Dodge and Plymouth had a temp gauge. All "C" body Chrysler's had a hot and cold light in the dash. The Plymouth and Dodge harnesses have one wire for the sending unit, the Chrysler's have two. I had purchased a replacement harness for my 300 and found this out the hard way.

Here is the difference in the harnesses, all "C" body Dodge and Plymouth had a temp gauge. All "C" body Chrysler's had a hot and cold light in the dash. The Plymouth and Dodge harnesses have one wire for the sending unit, the Chrysler's have two. I had purchased a replacement harness for my 300 and found this out the hard way.

Well that's a good example.
:thumbsup:

Don't worry about the temperature gauge, just cut a hole in the hood and screw on a motometer!

Seriously though, if the difference is two idiot lights versus a gauge, that means there's also a different sending unit screwed into the engine. Putting in the appropriate sender and running a new wire will cover it.

Don't worry about the temperature gauge, just cut a hole in the hood and screw on a motometer!

Seriously though, if the difference is two idiot lights versus a gauge, that means there's also a different sending unit screwed into the engine. Putting in the appropriate sender and running a new wire will cover it.
What about your gauge cluster, and your dash wire harness. Instead of changing all that, get the correct harness or repair the one you have.

Back