Won't Stop Cranking

azblackhemi

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
63 Fury, Poly 318. No start and when key turned off it keeps cranking. I swapped out the starter relay and ignition switch with no change. What am I missing?

Offhand, I' say the solenoid in the starter is sticking.
Yeah I thought so but I was hoping I wouldn't have to crawl under there as I have a dead car on my lift. I just tapped on it with a hammer and it unstuck for now.

Well can't you fix anything with duct tape and a hammer?:lol:
Very true.

I knew a guy that was a real hack of a mechanic.... You didn't want him working on your car in a shop... But if you were stuck on the side of the road, he was the guy that could get you home. Duct tape and a hammer!!

This car is giving me problems. When It got here it ran but barely. Had a junk carb on it. I replace the carb and it ran good. I drove it around the neighborhood but when I got home it died and wouldn't start. No spark. I quit for the day but when I came out the next morning it started right up. Again drove it around got home and again died. Now it won't start. A shop had just put an Electronic ignition kit on it. Now it did run the way they had it wired but they had the blue wire from the box going to the +of the coil instead of the ballast resistor. Not sure if that matters as it did run that way but I think today I'm going to un convert it and put the old points distributor back in it and see what happens.

This car is giving me problems. When It got here it ran but barely. Had a junk carb on it. I replace the carb and it ran good. I drove it around the neighborhood but when I got home it died and wouldn't start. No spark. I quit for the day but when I came out the next morning it started right up. Again drove it around got home and again died. Now it won't start. A shop had just put an Electronic ignition kit on it. Now it did run the way they had it wired but they had the blue wire from the box going to the +of the coil instead of the ballast resistor. Not sure if that matters as it did run that way but I think today I'm going to un convert it and put the old points distributor back in it and see what happens.
If you have a digital multi meter, Test between that new ECU and neg post on your battery. Bet you get a high resistance reading. You need a good ground on that case otherwise the ECU gets hot and opens up a transistor until it cools down. Then it will start and run again until it overheats. This scenario has been beaten to death on this site.

This car is giving me problems. When It got here it ran but barely. Had a junk carb on it. I replace the carb and it ran good. I drove it around the neighborhood but when I got home it died and wouldn't start. No spark. I quit for the day but when I came out the next morning it started right up. Again drove it around got home and again died. Now it won't start. A shop had just put an Electronic ignition kit on it. Now it did run the way they had it wired but they had the blue wire from the box going to the +of the coil instead of the ballast resistor. Not sure if that matters as it did run that way but I think today I'm going to un convert it and put the old points distributor back in it and

If it's an OEM type conversion, a lot of the Chineseum "Orange" boxes are notoriously unreliable. Work when cold but die when hot with miraculous recovery once cold again is a recurring theme.

I believe the OEM one needs switched 12v to the box, so if it's on the + side of the coil, it will not likely be happy either because the current draw will increase with reduced voltage and overheat it.

Kevin

If it's an OEM type conversion, a lot of the Chineseum "Orange" boxes are notoriously unreliable. Work when cold but die when hot with miraculous recovery once cold again is a recurring theme.

I believe the OEM one needs switched 12v to the box, so if it's on the + side of the coil, it will not likely be happy either because the current draw will increase with reduced voltage and overheat it.

Kevin
It is true that the Chinese made orange boxes are inferior to the older Mopar units but I suspect the bigger issue is in piss poor grounding being the norm since even the good ones will fail and open that transistor if not properly grounded. I always verify less than .05 ohms at the case and I have never had a failure since I dealt with that issue back in 1999.

Thanks for the info guys. I stuck the old distributor back in and it started right up and runs great. Points looked new so I'll talk to the customer but I'd leave it as it is if it were mine.

Back