Wood experts needed

vdk2010

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Which wood is this supposed to imitate?

1969ImperialWoodGrain.jpg

That does not look like teak. If it’s the same as the slabside years it is Claro Walnut.

Last edited:
There are always variations in such a natural product, but afaik Chrysler used 3M Di-NOC structured foil from the factory.

I agree, it doesn't look like teak to me either.
FW-7007 Teak.png

There is Walnut available, but unfortunately no Claro Walnut.
DW-1891MT Walnut.png

DW-2213MT Walnut.png

The materials I posted are more or less available, yes.
Less available in a way that the Plum foil for example is only available as an entire roll (at least in Germany) and comes at a price tag of 3100€...

The others are available for around 100€/meter.

Looks like some type of walnut.
I have some black walnut that was cut, milled and kiln dried from a tree out of the grove on our acreage and it’s similar. I’d go with the Zebrano.

I guess I have to choose one of the ones I like and change it on all the parts throughout the interior.

I really like the Plum Wood, especially in my Deep Plum Imperial! But I ain't paying >$3000 for an entire roll :/
Maybe I'll find another vendor...

Somewhere, hidden in the pages of the sales brochures dialogue, the name of any woodgrain would be mentioned. Especially if it was deemed to indicate a unique grain of wood, rather than the more mundane "dark walnut". Usually not mentioned in the Color and Trim Guide, from my experiences.

What you might do is to take your sample to a place that does vehicle wraps. See if they can photography your sample and re-print it onto a small section of wrap. I'm not sure if "wraps" are in Europe, but they have replaced vehicle sign painters in the USA bigtime. 3M has wrap materials, too.

CBODY67

There are a lot of Walnut patterns, but no black walnut unfortunately. FW-650 has a similar structure to the original, I lake that one!

DW-1891MT Walnut.png

DW-2213MT Walnut.png

FW-330 Walnut.png

FW-332 Walnut.png

FW-609H Walnut.png

FW-650 Walnut.png

FW-651 Walnut.png

The pattern is probably based on a "Figured American Walnut" or possibly a "Figured Black Walnut".

View attachment 649595

[/URL]

If I mess with the contrast and brightness to simulate a darker stain, it gets pretty close.

View attachment 649596

Jeff

Good call! The original he is trying to match definitely has a very dark stain, perhaps it has aged that way, but it looks as though it's always been very dark.

I guess I have to choose one of the ones I like and change it on all the parts throughout the interior.

I really like the Plum Wood, especially in my Deep Plum Imperial! But I ain't paying >$3000 for an entire roll :/
Maybe I'll find another vendor...
I have a contact for a wood veneer manufacturer here in the US. They would be much less expensive in the range of $75 to $150 per yard plus shipping. This is a real wood product with a reinforced backing like that used for fine furniture. It is an NBL (No Black Line) product. This means if two pieces are joined at a sharp angle no black line is visible. It is flexible enough for compound curves. I believe they have over 100 species of wood. You will have to add the final finish, this allows you to adjust/match color. The down side is you will need templates. Easy to cut with an
X-acto knife. PM if you need contact information.

Back