YOM PLates

Wow, what a headache. In Minnesota, regular plates or special plates (Wildlife, Support Our Troops, etc) get replaced every seven years, no matter what shape they're in. Collector, YOM, or Personalized plates you keep forever.

What I like that California did was the new black plates. Like a state issued custom personalized plate.
Maybe if enough 70's car owner write in they will reissue the blue plates.
I would love our provence to do a blue plate special.

If the DMV's YOM process makes me find a 1971 sticker, then I'll just cover it up with current year sticker. No room or desire for stickers in multiple locations.

Yup, I still see lots of black and blue plates that look like original issuance plates.

Also, I've seen a handful of these plates on non original, later model cars, such as a '88 Taurus wagon for example. Somehow they talked the DMV into this, lol....

I also have a set of early 90s plates (look just like current except the "California" is embossed in red block letters). I like the simple look of these on my car too and would avoid the YOM fee...
The second series of the White plate had the stamped California in red, my favorite of the white plates.

There were a few different black plates that were transferable Radio operator, for the most part looks just like a standard black plate but the sequence is not AAA-000.
The blue custom plates are transferable, you see those on later cars.

People have been painting the non black plates black for years.

Again in the 80s people were requesting custom plates that matched a set of standard black plates, this cannot be done now.

Alan

This plate 066 AAA is among the earliest number known.
Long ago I removed this plate off a 74
Impala bumper that was crushed and stacked on flatbed on its way to scrapyard.

I was grabbing bumper for a derby car use.

Didn’t think much about it at the time.
My dad started collecting vintage plates.
I gave him this plate for his birthday.

He kept it for awhile then traded it for another vintage plate

IMG_6328.jpeg

Wow, what a headache. In Minnesota, regular plates or special plates (Wildlife, Support Our Troops, etc) get replaced every seven years, no matter what shape they're in. Collector, YOM, or Personalized plates you keep forever.

BTW what's up with the new MN flat / non embossed plates? Looks cheap and fake. Other states are producing these too now (TX, AZ, etc).

One of the advantages of living in CA is we still have real license plates, lol. Stamped at Folsom Prison.

BTW what's up with the new MN flat / non embossed plates? Looks cheap and fake. Other states are producing these too now (TX, AZ, etc).

One of the advantages of living in CA is we still have real license plates, lol. Stamped at Folsom Prison.
I think they gave some excuse that it costs too much to swap out the letters, it's all computerized now. Not sure if the inmates still make them, they did when they switched to the flat plates.

I wish all my plates were embossed. I kept the California Black plate on my '66 Polara 500, a "real" plate.

IMG_20180722_110327~2.jpg

Is there a guide anywhere to letters/numbers and year as to when plates were issued?

IE, This 56 series plate would have been issued in what year starting with letter V
This 63 series plate would have been issued in what year with letter Y ?

IMG_9296.jpeg

Is there a guide anywhere to letters/numbers and year as to when plates were issued?

IE, This 56 series plate would have been issued in what year starting with letter V

View attachment 652902
There is no real guide.
We'll start with the 63 plate as I am up on those.
In 63 ALL cars got new plates, this used up more than half of them everything up to the R, this included new registrations.
By the end of the 69 Calendar year they were done, ZZZ 999
With that information you can estimate when a plate may have been issued, YGK would likely have been in November 1967

I haven't put the time into the 56 plates but the time they were issued was about the same (7 years)
The initial distribution was probably about the same.
That being said VWJ would probably be about March 1962

Alan

MJY 271 was issued Oct/Nov 1964.
All the plated from AAA to about RDA were divided up and sent to all the DMV offices, it may have taken a year or two use up the inventory.
I generally do not try and estimate a plate for 63 & 64 and tell people to keep in before R.

Alan

View attachment 652902

A "Y" plate would be 1969. My 1968 Cougar's "WTD" plate was issued late May 1968. Here is a 69 Buick.

00v0v_41qknVeuXtA_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

Last edited:
Just found these 56 series plates
available.

PLY 400
I guess this means there was a
PLY 225,318,361,383,413,426,440

I think I will pick these up for my 61.

IMG_9310.jpeg

Just found these 56 series plates
available.

PLY 400
I guess this means there was a
PLY 225,318,361,383,413,426,440

I think I will pick these up for my 61.

View attachment 653299
Keep in mid if those were YOM assigned to a different year there is no changing that year. These appear to have been assigned not just a pair of old plates.

Alan

The second series of the White plate had the stamped California in red, my favorite of the white plates.

There were a few different black plates that were transferable Radio operator, for the most part looks just like a standard black plate but the sequence is not AAA-000.
The blue custom plates are transferable, you see those on later cars.

People have been painting the non black plates black for years.

Again in the 80s people were requesting custom plates that matched a set of standard black plates, this cannot be done now.

Alan

My 1994 "DMV clear" plates discussed above, awaiting a car. Formerly on my Chevy... Note the starting digit. 30 years later, still on the same sequence, now at 9J or k. I believe this system started with the 7-digit blue plates in the early 80s, then went into the "sun" plates, then the white plate below (now on the "lipstick" plates).

IMG_6610.jpeg

And their original envelope....

IMG_6612.jpeg

It's either the above or these "period correct" blue plates (courtesy of @pomonamissel 's 72 Fury that he dismembered) that will go on my 71 NY....

United Arab Emirates! Could be considered an unintentional pun for the car considering its appetite for gas.

IMG_6611.jpeg

I think they gave some excuse that it costs too much to swap out the letters, it's all computerized now. Not sure if the inmates still make them, they did when they switched to the flat plates.

I wish all my plates were embossed. I kept the California Black plate on my '66 Polara 500, a "real" plate.

View attachment 652502
A whole crapload of states are now doing this: including Nebraska, the Dakotas, Indiana, Montana, and Iowa. (Iowa’s colors look like they were chosen from a box of Crayolas).

I wonder if California’s system is cheaper in the long run because they don’t have to keep reissuing tens of millions of plates. I can’t imagine those aluminum TX plates lasting the life of the car.

How do you check if a plate is DMV Clear in California?

Back