1955 Chrysler New Yorker Value

Dutchrebuild

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have the opportunity to buy this car...not really sure what it's worth tho...I mostly deal in 64 and newer Chryslers.
1955 nyr
331 hemi is complete and turns over by hand...no doubt it runs...but 50/50 that block mite be cracked...it pushed out one freeze plug on each side of engine...the guy said he had been running water in it to keep up with a leak.
Last run in 2002
Car is basically complete
Frame rails are good
Trunk lid and hood are nice
Both doors and both fenders are in good useable condition with minor work
Rockers are toast
Minor floor repair needed
Lower quarters need work
Windshield is cracked
Trunk floor needs some love
Opinions on value? Would it be worth fixing? Good parts car? Anybody on here have interest in it?

IMG_20221021_171028774_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221021_165737130.jpg

IMG_20221021_165723239_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221021_165212038.jpg

IMG_20221021_165151258.jpg

IMG_20221021_165143626.jpg

IMG_20221021_165125440.jpg

IMG_20221021_160831094_HDR.jpg

The car looks complete. Like the coupe, color, and the body style
Possible cracked block.
Rockers and lower quarters need replace.
Trunk floor needs repair.
Car has not run since 2002.
I'd probably start at $3000. Definitely would not go above $5000. How high above $3000 would be determined by thorough visual inspection.
I'd ask for a price first, just to see if his expectations were lower than my opening bid.

This is hypothetical. Not interested in car. Good luck!!!

I always liked that body style. How much of the work can you do yourself? How much farmed-out to others to do? Unsure of values, though, as that can be variable as to WHO might want it when it's fixed. It can be a good looking money pit, too! IF that might be a concern. BUT looks way too nice to be a parts car!! Do the best deal you can justify.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

you'd prob get a better idea if you asked on a earlier chrysler site, its not a C body, so while there are knowledgeable people here i'd suggest trying a 55 & 56 mopar group like this one but you'd have to join.....

1955/56 Dodge, Plymouth, Chrysler & DeSoto Owner's Group

Only judging on photos, I'd say around 2-3000. Only if it has a clear title too.
As mentioned, it looks very complete and intact. I'm figuring on a cracked block and more rust repair than a quick visual inspection shows up.
I love the cars, but always liked the 56 a bit better from the taillights and being 12v system to start with.
If I wasn't the other side of the country and didn't have way too many projects already, I'd be interested in the car, but for now it isn't in the works.

Those cars are one of my favorite models of all time but having said that, most folks would search for one of those in much better condition needing little work if any compared to the one you are showing. The reality of finding new parts, good used parts and the restoration costs of the one you are showing would be very high, making it so much more difficult to justify acquiring it and cars like that one in pristine condition are available at bargain prices. The demand for them is very low in the condition of this one and only pristine ones will bring any money, and then not that much. Time has passed them by.

On the heels of @saforwardlook, I'd say it's worthy of a low-dollar perk-up, but not restoration. Although it's a coupe with Hemi, it's not a Letter.
For instance -
There's surely $5000 worth of re-chroming - but how would it look if the chrome was hit with 0000 steel wool?
The stainless trim is easy to polish by anyone with a little patience and a little $$ for supplies.
How would it look with new 'standard' tires and some chrome baby moons instead of expensive repop wide-whites??

But if the engine block is OK, and it's runnable/movable, add up a shopping list of everythign you know it needs, or that you know you should replace to make it 'yours'.
Add 25% to that.
Would you pay that for the car after that work was done?
If so, work backward to the price to buy the car.

Hey guys, I have the opportunity to buy this car...not really sure what it's worth tho...I mostly deal in 64 and newer Chryslers.
1955 nyr
331 hemi is complete and turns over by hand...no doubt it runs...but 50/50 that block mite be cracked...it pushed out one freeze plug on each side of engine...the guy said he had been running water in it to keep up with a leak.
Last run in 2002
Frame rails are good
Rockers are toast
Lower quarters need work
Windshield is cracked
Opinions on value? Would it be worth fixing? Good parts car? Anybody on here have interest in it?

View attachment 563926

View attachment 563927

View attachment 563928

View attachment 563929

View attachment 563931

View attachment 563932

View attachment 563933

View attachment 563934

1955 nyr
Last run in 2002
Frame rails are good
Rockers are toast
Lower quarters need work
Windshield is cracked

View attachment 563926

View attachment 563927

View attachment 563928

View attachment 563929

View attachment 563931

View attachment 563932

View attachment 563933

View attachment 563934

Back