1966 Broadcast Sheet Decoding Help Needed

Boomer

Reaction score
There have been a few questions recently about build codes, fender tags and so on. I've tried to follow along and figure out what is what, but since I don't yet have a fender tag to check, the only source of info for my car is the broadcast sheet, which the seller photographed for me.

I am having a pisser of a time trying to find a site online that gives accurate - or maybe clear is the word - information. There are numerous sites with a lot of codes beginning with letters which I assume are fender tag codes. Several of these sites claim to have charts for 62-68 and similar broadcast sheets, but they're either missing numbers or the listings make zero sense (tire sizes listed for an axle number, for example).

As well, there are different numbers used for the same item on different sections of the broadcast sheet. It's enough to make ya talk to yourself, though I admit it doesn't take a lot for me.

Attached is the broadcast sheet. I'm trying to figure out a few things like differential, paint color, and just what each number means under each heading. For example, under Sure Grip it lists 8. Under Rear Heat/Defroster it lists 8. Does 8 mean 'No'? And if it does, why are other things left blank?

Here is one of the sites I was trying to use:

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=58

It basically seems to be a copy of another site I checked as far as using the same incomplete or unclear list of numbers.

As for the broadcast sheet, at the top it lists 62 for engine (which I decoded to 383 4bbl) and 103 for engine under the Build Code section below. Axle lists as 4 at the top, 056 at the bottom, and neither number corresponds with what's in the online decoders I've found.

Does there exist anywhere a clear breakdown that says 'A number 6 listed under Reverb/R. Speaker column means this...'? It shows up as '383 8bbl' on the decoder.

Or even better - a numerical list of all the numbers for each option?

I need a drink....

Broadcast Sheet.jpg

Nope. The Mopar online decoders try to be everything to all Mopars, when all they are, are providers of conflicting and just plain wrong info. I really don't find any of them useful.

The codes with a number above it refer to option codes.
The other codes refer to part number or assembly part numbers.
Not all the part/assembly numbers appear in the parts book.

The Part number codes are the last 2 or 3 digits of the 7 digit part number.

The Option code is the last digit of the option code even if the number in the box above the code is a 3 digit number and the code is different (just replace that last digit).

The 3 digit engine code would refer to a specific combination of parts not just the size of the engine.

Alan

Nope. The Mopar online decoders try to be everything to all Mopars, when all they are, are providers of conflicting and just plain wrong info. I really don't find any of them useful.

Thanks with two thumbs up. On line decoders are, virtually, worthless as they do not distinguish between years and try to be all things to all people. They do not make distinctions between makes and models.

Or even better - a numerical list of all the numbers for each option?

I need a drink....

Me too.

I'd be willing to go through it line by line and box by box with you on the phone if you'd like. Typing takes WAY too long to explain plus then you can ask questions. I'd just need a clean copy of the sheet before we talk.

Me too.

I'd be willing to go through it line by line and box by box with you on the phone if you'd like. Typing takes WAY too long to explain plus then you can ask questions. I'd just need a clean copy of the sheet before we talk.

Cool avatar Doug!

With Hamtramck Historical Services on "indefinite hold" through (at least) November; it ain't looking so good as far as preservation and dissemination of this information. Mommy, I'm scared..
Please, Fiat Chrysler, may we please have another shot at having these build sheets decoded?

Thanks for for the pointers, guys. I'll make another run at deciphering this mess. We've got three '67s and a '66 to hash out.

Well, it's good to know that it's not just my imagination playing tricks on me or senility setting in. I figured some columns were actual parts or options, others may be processes or packages, but there's just no way to make head nor tails of it without some kind of baseline to work from. Also got a sense that much of the stuff online is focused more on B bodies like Roadrunners, Barracudas, Chargers and the rest.

Doug, I'll contact you directly as I'd appreciate any help you can offer or suggest.

Just wanted to let you all know that Doug fixed me up in great shape with loads of info. He not only told me which options I had, he explained how to tell when viewing the column above. It made sense once he pointed out things like the offset 2 digit codes are really 3 digit codes, the number stamped below completes the code. And the three digit codes with the last number repeated below confirm that part or option is installed as printed. Obviously the people who read these sheets decades ago knew all this and didn't need helpful pointers printed on the sheet.

The build codes with partial part numbers and complete assembly numbers were part of what confused me, since they seemed to call out a different number for the same item listed a line or two above. Makes a LOT more sense now. And I discovered that I have a 3:23 SureGrip differential, rear window defroster, rear speaker, deluxe radio, tinted glass and a few more interesting things that are hard to see with the car still en route.

Thanks again for letting me know I wasn't really going nuts as fast as I feared over those online decoders, guys. And thanks to you Doug, for answering so many questions.

Back