1966 Chrysler Newport four door question.

Zakkowal

Reaction score
I heard several rumors mostly revolving around 66 two door newports. But, I would like to try a different approach. I have a 66 Chrysler Newport 4 door. As a weekend garage warrior and average budget I would like to throw out this question. I have heard of un bolting the front frame and installing a "less rusted" front frame. I have heard no and yes. Mostly falling into, it can only be roughly a 2 year difference between the year of production. Also, some info states Chrysler 300's is a different dimension, no go. And a plymouth c body front will not work in a chrysler. Vice versa. I have came across some very nice rust free 65-71 c body station wagon front frames that no one wants. My own frame is unique / one side is badly rusted and the other is mint. I believe because it was stored so many years next to a drain pipe? Any info much appreciated.

You can replace a rusted/damaged subframe so long as the dimensions are identical and this "may" include several model years as this would have been a cost saving instead of "reinventing the wheel every year.."

Those who can offer more specific information will be along in a few hours.

As it's only 7.52pm here in NZ k wanted to provide a basic answer.

All the best with your Newport.

1965 to 1968 are the model years which have pretty much the same structure in C-body cars, with 1964 and 1969 have been different platform series for C-body cars. Not completely sure about 1969 interchanges, though.

Other than some in here, the definitive source would be the Hollander Interchange Manual which many salvage yards used to have to tell them what fits directly, what might fit with a few minor changes, and what will not fit particular vehicles.

You can also peruse the factory service manuals at www.mymopar.com for body/chassis dimensions used for measurements between certain points on the body/stub frame areas. Plus pictures of how the stub frame mounts to the body structure itself. Those items should indicate what can fit what, as a bolt-in situation.

IF you are going to undertake that situation, be well aware of the necessary implements that will be needed for the swap to take place! Plus related space issues to work in! Space in which to clean/refurbish the donor item prior to installation. Space that will not be needed for any other activities during the swap.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

I heard several rumors mostly revolving around 66 two door newports. But, I would like to try a different approach. I have a 66 Chrysler Newport 4 door. As a weekend garage warrior and average budget I would like to throw out this question. I have heard of un bolting the front frame and installing a "less rusted" front frame. I have heard no and yes. Mostly falling into, it can only be roughly a 2 year difference between the year of production. Also, some info states Chrysler 300's is a different dimension, no go. And a plymouth c body front will not work in a chrysler. Vice versa. I have came across some very nice rust free 65-71 c body station wagon front frames that no one wants. My own frame is unique / one side is badly rusted and the other is mint. I believe because it was stored so many years next to a drain pipe? Any info much appreciated.

You can use any 1966 thru 1969 V8 Chrysler or Dodge subframe for your car.

You can use any 1966 thru 1970 V8 Plymouth subframe on your car, but you will need a set of the shorter Plymouth torsion bars to go with it. Your ride quality will suffer a bit going this route.

You can use a 1970 Chrysler or Dodge V8 wagon or convertible subframe.

Basically, any 1966 to 1970 V8 subframe that doesn't use the rubber isolators between the body and subframe.

All 1965 cars used different style motor mounts, so a 1965 subframe is a no-go.

Jeff

Back