1967 Fury III fuel tank question??

John Reddie

Reaction score
A year or so back I purchased a new fuel tank on Ebay for my '67 Fury III convertible. The tank installed easily and is an exact replacement for what I had. The problem I am now having is with the area where the filler neck goes into the rear of the tank. It appears that the leaking is taking place where the rubber seal ring is. I can't really tell if it leaks where the where it fits around the tank opening or where the neck goes in. I replaced this seal ring when I put in the tank but only recently noticed the leaking. I bought a new seal ring on ebay and am hoping that this will correct the problem. If it does not, should I try to find another filler neck? Has anyone here had this situation before? Any tips and suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.
John

A year or so back I purchased a new fuel tank on Ebay for my '67 Fury III convertible. The tank installed easily and is an exact replacement for what I had. The problem I am now having is with the area where the filler neck goes into the rear of the tank. It appears that the leaking is taking place where the rubber seal ring is. I can't really tell if it leaks where the where it fits around the tank opening or where the neck goes in. I replaced this seal ring when I put in the tank but only recently noticed the leaking. I bought a new seal ring on ebay and am hoping that this will correct the problem. If it does not, should I try to find another filler neck? Has anyone here had this situation before? Any tips and suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.
John
Check your filler neck for pinhole rust out, otherwise if it is not damaged, it should seal. Some of the rubber seals imported from China are very poor quality so you may have gotten a bad one.

Dave

Thank you Dave. Is there any place that sells good quality seal rings in case the ebay one I bought doesn't work out?
John

Detroit Muscle Technologies has them ...they claim they're made for them and arent the ones others are selling...havent bought this grommet myself but so far everything i've gotten from them has been great 2880481

Last edited:
Detroit Muscle Technologies has them ...they claim they're made for them and arent the ones others are selling...havent bought this grommet myself but so far everything i've gotten from them has been great 2880481

I think I have found the reason for the leaking. The filler neck is rusted quite a bit and preventing a good seal (see attached pic). I have looked for replacement tubes online but haven't had any luck yet. NOS would be great but a good used one should be okay I believe too. I'll try Murray Park and Wildcat Mopar to see what they have and I seem to recall a guy in Georgia that has a lot of Mopar NOS stuff and I'll try to find him as well.
My Fury has 640,000 miles on her and I don't remember ever changing this piece before so I can't complain at all.:D Thanks for all the tips.
John

fury fill pipe.jpg

I was able to purchase a decent used fuel tank filler pipe from AMS Obsolete Parts in Georgia. I cleaned it up and installed it with a new rubber grommet and it seems to be doing fine.
John

Back