SOLD 1968 Chrysler Newport Custom (2 Door Hardtop)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLUPORT

Carpe Diem Cras
Reaction score
Contact seller
PRICE DROP, $7200

I bought this car in December 2018 in Winston-Salem, NC from a gentleman who bought it from the original owner's son, making me the 3rd or 4th owner, however you want to look at it. There is a thread in the Gold Member's section about the work I've done to it since then, but it is time for me to accept that I don't have time to keep a classic car. I will post pics as I have them, and will take new ones on request, and will answer any questions I can. I may come back and update the description as I remember other details.

1968 Chrysler Newport Custom - 2 Door w/ Vinyl top.
Power Steering, Power Brakes, Factory AC (Still R-12, works, but has a leak. Waiting for dye to appear to determine where the leak is.)
New HVAC Switch.

50,xxx miles, 383 2bbl, 727 Auto
Newly rebuilt Carter 2bbl carburetor (a Mopar cast iron 4bbl intake is available)
New Distributor
New master cylinder, wheel cylinders, shoes, and drums.
New "RealGaskets" Silicone valve cover gaskets.
Fresh oil and rear differential fluid change.
New wheels and tires (originals are available- I have appropriate 68 Chrysler wheel covers, not the Charger/Monaco/Polara covers shown in pictures.)
Car had shaft-style cassette player installed when I bought it, as well as rear package tray cut for square component speakers.
I have installed a modern Media Player, but have an AM radio and a replacement dash piece and bezel to go back to original. (Do not believe AM radio works)
New shocks front and rear
Fresh alignment

Back window does have slow leak into trunk area.
Trunk has been stripped, coated with POR-15, and sprayed with bedliner to prevent a worsening condition.
Currently the headlights are flickering, which I believe is from the stuck high-beam switch.

New parts I have, but have not installed on the vehicle:
New HVAC Blower Fan motor
New wiper blades
New Floor mounted High Beam Switch
New rear window molding clips
New reciever/drier
New Expansion valve
Extra cans of HC-12 Refrigerant

Pictures from when I first got the car:

20181215_153307.jpg

20181215_144440.jpg

20181216_130817.jpg

20181216_130832.jpg

20181216_130944.jpg

20190105_124030.jpg

20190226_175057.jpg

Any FCBO Members who are genuinely interested, don't hesitate to send me a PM, and you will have first priority. If you think my price point is way off, by all means send me a message and let me know. I'm not trying to profit, just want to have the car go to someone who would enjoy finishing it, rather than sell it off to someone who will chop it up.

Last edited:
Original sales keychain, and an old picture of the dealrship the car came from:
20190108_112400.jpg
6276393144_cf49ba427b_b.jpg

I think you are fair on your price Patrick and someone will get a very nice driver for that. I put more than that in my 66 just getting it on the road. GLWS!

I think you are fair on your price Patrick and someone will get a very nice driver for that. I put more than that in my 66 just getting it on the road. GLWS!
From the trend I see in this area of the US, people sell motorcycles and buy classic cars when winter starts kicking in, so I'll likely be sitting on it for a bit.

Need more info on how you flush mounted that stereo please.
It's not a full-depth radio, because it has no CD player. It only goes back a couple inches, and it required a LOT of finagling to get it in there.

I have a media only player also but because of the angles on the dash I can't get it to sit flush. the bottom center touches but the sides and top stick way out. Did you make a custom face plate? I'm at a loss for next step. Yours looks clean, I need to do whatever you did.

I have a media only player also but because of the angles on the dash I can't get it to sit flush. the bottom center touches but the sides and top stick way out. Did you make a custom face plate? I'm at a loss for next step. Yours looks clean, I need to do whatever you did.
When I got the car, that whole center piece had been cut already, so I just modified it more and chopped up an old sindle din dash kit I had laying around into an hourglass shape >< to make it look flush. That's why I ended up getting the replacement bezel and AM radio to go back in, because mounting a radio there is just not worth the effort.

makes me wonder what mine will be worth when im done working on it. Im sorry to see you have to sell it..its a beautiful car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back