1968 Chrysler Newport Wood sided Convertible Front Grill Filler panels color

sa-noia

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I need to know what was the color of the Newport Front Grill "Filler panels" color? Are they "Argent (sp.?) that's a silverish" or Body color? Or some other color? If it makes a difference, the car body color is white. Your assistance is appreciated.

Hi,

I've seen both body color and argent. I think more argent then body color. It's a tough question because I know the 69 fury did both. Mine is argent from factory on a sport fury but I've seen sport furys with body color panel also. In the 69 fury brochure, all cars have body color including the sport fury which is the same color as mine. Consistency in this era was sketchy at best so I'm guessing you could get away with either for whichever you prefer and it would be correct. Maybe it was by plant.

Hi,

I've seen both body color and argent. I think more argent then body color. It's a tough question because I know the 69 fury did both. Mine is argent from factory on a sport fury but I've seen sport furys with body color panel also. In the 69 fury brochure, all cars have body color including the sport fury which is the same color as mine. Consistency in this era was sketchy at best so I'm guessing you could get away with either for whichever you prefer and it would be correct. Maybe it was by plant.

Thank you. My observations also, I like Argent, goes better with the chrome grill and bumper.

My 68 T/C wagon is metallic silver/argent painted...smooth, not like the rough argent used on the 70 and later mopar grilles.

My 68 T/C wagon is metallic silver/argent painted...smooth, not like the rough argent used on the 70 and later mopar grilles.

x2 On the four 68 NYer or Newports I've had they have all been a metallic silver/argent that was smooth. Does anyone know what the color really was or is it just a best guess type thing?

If you paint it with off the shelf Mopar Argent, even a C-body enthusiast would not pick up on if it was correct or not.

Does anyone know what the color really was or is it just a best guess type thing?

The more I research this I think Argent is the correct paint. The only cars I see with body color in 68 have obviously been repainted. I'm guessing that because they are within the recess of the headlights, argent would help to reflect the headlight. I don't think I would paint body color but I'm with everyone else that argent looks better anyway.

Lol.
I am too but sometimes you just have to let go. :D

Good advice....I spend so much time stressing the minor details, at this rate it's going to take me 50 years to restore my fury. :sSig_thanks:

Back