1968 Fury III Left Side View Remote Mirror

furyfever

Reaction score
My 1968 Fury III is an absolutely mint survivor car. When I bought it in 2016, I noticed remote mirror lever on driver door was bent downward. Figured that was not right but mirror worked fine so I left it alone. 7 years later…took it out first drive of the new year/last week and I noticed mirror was loose and not adjustable in up/down direction. Left/right works. I removed door panel/got mirror off and took apart. There’s three cables…one which seems to be the top cable and it’s nearly detached at the backside of the mirror. From what I can see, there’s several strands of wire in each cable. This top cable has only one strand still attached to backside of mirror and all the others are broken/detached. What a shame because my mirror is mint otherwise. The chrome and mirror are flawless. Has anyone here ever been able to fix these? To me, it looks like it’s not repairable. Doesn’t even look like one could remove the mirror/cable from another mirror assy.and install into nice chrome casing like mine. So…I was looking on eBay. There’s new (OER) mirrors available that definitely cater to the A/B body crowd that look identical…but not 100% sure. I inquired about one of them. The seller says it’ll fit and he said “the eBay fitment chart sucks” because I had mentioned to him that after putting in my car’s year, make, model it said it doesn’t fit my car. I’d like to believe him…and if I order a new one…just wondering before I do…if anyone here has ordered one of these? If so, how’s the quality? I’m thinking they’re made in China. I don’t know. Any insight on these new OER mirrors and/or repairing old ones I’d surely appreciate. Thanks, Bob

Last edited:
I fixed a '65 mirror.

IIRC (it was a few years ago) I found the piece that's crimped on in the door and re-crimped it back on. Seems to still be working.

The cables are color coded so you can put them back the same way they came off.

hK2RG83.jpg

XyQRMFs.jpg

I fixed a '65 mirror.

IIRC (it was a few years ago) I found the piece that's crimped on in the door and re-crimped it back on. Seems to still be working.

The cables are color coded so you can put them back the same way they came off.

hK2RG83.jpg

XyQRMFs.jpg
Hi John, Thanks for advice but it’s on the other end…the mirror end. I’ll post photos. To me, it looks like its not fixable. Notice how knob is bent…(was like that when I bought it) and on mirror end, most of the Y (up/down) cable strands are broken…looks like only one strand remains attached to mirror. Must be why up/down isn’t adjustable and mirror flops around. Left and Right adjustments still work well and both of those cables look fine.

IMG_4975.jpeg

IMG_4974.jpeg

Last edited:
Back