NOT MINE 1969 Chrysler T&C wagon, on BaT

Another nice thing about BaT, is that it is impossible to snipe a bid! If you are bidding in the last two minutes of the auction, the timer goes back out to two minutes of bidding. So, the auction continues until the item is won. If you're the high-bidder at zero time left and no one else bids, it's yours. What you submit as a bid, is your actual bid. So, the car is currently at $12,500, and you bid $15K, the bid is now $15K. It doesn't allow the incremental bidding style of flea-bay, and that's a good thing.

Even Jay Leno, who never sells a car at all, anywhere, had his Tesla on BaT recently.
Jay Leno's 2015 Tesla Model S P90D

Last edited:
When you bid on BaT, you have to have your credit card number on file. So, you bid $10,000 on a car, they put a hold on that card for 5% of the bid (min $500.00USD), up to a max of $5K, until you are outbid. If you win, the CC is immediately charged. If you bail on a BaT auction as a no-pay, you lose the bidder fee on the car, which could be from $500 to $5,000; and you are forbidden from bidding, or even commenting, again. Are you gonna risk that kind of money just to "**** with the seller", knowing you will lose the money? Doubt it. Plus, BaT knows your IP info, so going in under a different nic won't work. Sellers often thank the bidders and commenters, that is normal on BaT. The commenters and bidders do a real good job at not being total assholes to each other, it is pretty much self-policing, and it works. I've been on BaT for over 11 years. It's a great venue, and is dirt-cheap to sell. Way, way better than flea-bay, CL or faceplant assmarket. It is a superb deal for buyer and seller, which is why it is so successful.

Go to any classic car auction. Your buyer fee is normally ten percent of the purchase price, as is the sales fee. You buy a car for $75K at B-J. You also pay another $7,500 as the buyer. The seller pays $7,500 to B-J, as well. Now, on BaT, for that same $75K, the buyer pays a max of $5K to BaT. The seller would pay just $99.00 to list the car for 7 days, or $395.00 for a premium listing, and a 10-14 day listing. And BaT has an average of 40 auctions that start and end on any particular day. Note the number of high-end cars there? They're not stupid. Nothing "fishy" about it at all.
Na I still call fishy on it, IP's can be spoofed/changed, stolen CC? Well we all know that is rife on the 'net, running a auction where all posts criticizing are deleted is lame or 'rigged' for the seller. Shill bidding? Welp on this one the winner had 139 bids in their history, 3 wins (including this one) and only 1 comment, seems the owner & consignment seller are erm.... in the 'horsetrading biz'. Sorry mates I'm still a little skeptical 'bout what I see on the net, just got done seeing a interview show about this 'Social Media' multi-million dollar grifter that just got out of prison. Then there are the 'tubers' that are just rife with grifts and it seems YouTube will be doing something about them. Plus I just found a channel take over that... well lets just say the next 2/3 years is going too just be a revisited hell.

He states in the auction how many he has sold on BaT. A total of 84, to be exact. You aren't gong to be successful selling if you haven't had the apparent satisfaction that this particular seller enjoys. Dealers and individual sellers enjoy the same exposure and content.

Guess what? Flippers are going to flip. And what is wrong with consignment selling?

I don't get your apparent hate on this particular auction or the format. I'd buy OR sell on BaT way, way quicker than I would at a collector auction (pay out the *** either way there!), flea-gay (shills and deadbeats abound, plus exorbitant costs), CL (PITA) or facestuffed garbagemarket (let's face it, FB is crap!). Your opinion may vary.

Last edited:
I don't get your apparent hate on this particular auction or the format.
ah was waiting for someone to toss the 'hate card' down, he he... not 'Salty' or whatever is popular 'Termin'ism'? LOL

No mate just giving a personal "Reality Check" opinion... They don't have very good reviews on Yelp. "Bait & Switch" no reviews for sellers other than comments thumbs up, and here's a classic "Cheerleader stuff. They love cheerleaders."

Do your research folks, Caveat emptor...

Never had much use for Yelp. And what else would you say? Your apparent "hate" (utter contempt and dislike, is that better?) for BaT is evident. The good far outweighs any bad there. I'm no "cheerleader" as you imply, but I am a happy consumer of the services they provide - which is a damned sight better than the others I've listed previously.

To each their own. Enjoy the day.

Back