For Sale 1969 Dodge Polara Polara CHP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alan, I took a look at your MRCHP restores a 69 CHP Polara page on this site.

http://www.forcbodiesonly.com/mopar...-s-1969-California-Highway-Patrol-restoration

From the photos you posted, it appears that your car actually was, (before your excellent restoration) in much worse condition, so far a rust is concerned, than this car. I have not see your car in person, but I have seen the one in person on eBay. You have provided excellent photos and documentation of your car.

From those photos it seems that your car was very rusty, more than the car on ebay. Why then are you calling this car "a parts car at best"? If that's true, then a third of the surviving 69 Polara CHP cars would be in pieces, for what?

Shouldn't these rare pieces of automotive history be cherished, worshiped and restored, even if they don't have the original engine??? Which by the way is usually a 10 to 15% reduction in value.

I would still pay twice as much for my car as I acquired it than I would pay for the car on ebay.

People pay more because they have more, the reality is these car are not regularly selling for that.
I think the stars need to be aligned for a seller to get good money for these, more an emotional buy than a smart one.

The reality is that I do not know a lot about these cars. I started with the idea of restoring a CHP car about 1995, by 2005 I settled on the 69 more for styling than its history. It was then I learned that it was the holly grail of CHP cars. I can add 2 more 69's that were purchased for less than $3000, both a little nicer than mine, one being the fully restored one that we all drool over.

The car on ebay will need the full windshield frame replaced as well as the rear window frame, it will most likely need the same full front floor replaced as well, that damage is easily seen on the ebay listing pictures. Add the unseen damage and I see this car being in worse shape. But the killer for me is still the engine, every show we are asked, "Is this an original CHP used car?" "Is the engine original?"

This car on ebay as it sits without the original engine/transmission to me $2500 tops, I wouldn't pay $1000 (I might be able to overlook the engine/trans being missing)
This same car with the original engine/transmission needing the work that it does, maybe $2500.

Anybody that has taken on a rust repair such as this will say the rust goes beyond what you can see.

The parts list for that car will not be cheap, 440 with everything, HP manifolds, air cleaner, Leece Neville alternator (with the special brackets)...

One of the selling points for me on my car was that is was a good unmolested car.

Alan

Alan if you mean Rons car (which he bought for less than 3k$) and we all appreciate today than it is no real comparison.
That is a "long, long time ago" price.

Even if Ron buys one now for less than three grand: It is due to his reputation and him being well known for being in it for the "CHP".

The average Mopargearhead who wants to buy one has to pay a different price IMHO

Carsten

Alan if you mean Rons car (which he bought for less than 3k$) and we all appreciate today than it is no real comparison.
That is a "long, long time ago" price.

Even if Ron buys one now for less than three grand: It is due to his reputation and him being well known for being in it for the "CHP".

The average Mopargearhead who wants to buy one has to pay a different price IMHO

Carsten

It's your money.

Alan

The reality is that I do not know a lot about these cars. I started with the idea of restoring a CHP car about 1995, by 2005 I settled on the 69 more for styling than its history. It was then I learned that it was the holly grail of CHP cars. I can add 2 more 69's that were purchased for less than $3000, both a little nicer than mine, one being the fully restored one that we all drool over.

The car on ebay will need the full windshield frame replaced as well as the rear window frame, it will most likely need the same full front floor replaced as well, that damage is easily seen on the ebay listing pictures. Add the unseen damage and I see this car being in worse shape. But the killer for me is still the engine, every show we are asked, "Is this an original CHP used car?" "Is the engine original?"

This car on ebay as it sits without the original engine/transmission to me $2500 tops, I wouldn't pay $1000 (I might be able to overlook the engine/trans being missing)
This same car with the original engine/transmission needing the work that it does, maybe $2500.

Anybody that has taken on a rust repair such as this will say the rust goes beyond what you can see.

The parts list for that car will not be cheap, 440 with everything, HP manifolds, air cleaner, Leece Neville alternator (with the special brackets)...

One of the selling points for me on my car was that is was a good unmolested car.

Alan

Allan, it's your opinion, without having seen the car, that the windshield frame needs replacement, and the front floor needs complete replacement. But you haven't seen the car, correct? I have seen the car. I don't think they require replacement, but that's my opinion from experience and partly because and I can weld/fabricate and paint.

Also, the original exhaust manifolds are there, the bracket for the alternator is there, the correct wiring is there.

I can get you an used original Leece Neville alternator for $75 rebuilt for $215, and an NOS voltage regulator for about $30, the air cleaners are from $75 to $200 depending on condition. Not a big deal.

Agreed, the missing engine is a minus, and the car needs total restoration and I agree on that point, AND that is stated in the ad!!!

But they all aren't matching #, and I think that matching numbers matters less than it did 15 years ago on value for MoPars across the board. Numbers matching is always the best, but we can't always have the best.

The rising tide floats all boats.

Best regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back