1970 Fury Dash Install and Steering Column Position Issue

1970FuryConv

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
As you can see from the pictures below, I installed the dash and steering column for my 1970 Fury convertible. It’s nice to have new paint, although Duplicolor is only an okay paint. Also it’s nice not to have the big holes in the center of the dash pad (See the 2 pics at the end). In addition on the plus side, the time delay relay light works, the speedometer doesn’t have water spots, all 3 floor level lights come on when the doors are opened, when the dimmer switch is in full up position, the flood lighting for the instrument panel comes on bright (I did away with my toggle switch to control it because I had the thumb wheel dimmer switch rebuilt), and all the lights and gauges seem to be working well.

My problem is that my steering column seems to be sitting a little too high with the 1970 shell and the 1969 dash pad. I’m sure that the shift indicator needle is centered in the dial, but it’s sitting too high so that it scrapes of across the top of the dial. Has anyone had to add spacers to lower their steering column? I reinstalled the factory studs. I don’t remember any spacers on them when I removed them. Still I may need to use some washers or some other kind of spacers. How far did you have to space it down in order to give appropriate clearance for the orange shift indicator needle not to scrape/bend as it goes across the dial? Thanks as always for your help.
20171209_132114.jpg

20171209_133130.jpg

20171208_133542.jpg

20171208_133601.jpg

20171019_174420.jpg

20171028_174257.jpg

4-14-14 Interior 3.JPG

The needle is affixed by a bolt and its height is adjustable. Did you adjust it?

My dash has no washers/spacers.

Car is starting to come together nicely. You can bend the indicator wand so that it is closer to the column if there is not enough adjustment, that should reduce the height of the wand so it does not rub. Might have to adjust the wand again after you do this so it is pointing at the proper gear indicator. Replacement dash pads are now available in several colors, though I have yet to see any being reproduced in that olive green. A lot of these cars with white interiors had black carpets and dash pads and the black pads are available. If you are not comfortable with bending the wand, a washer on either side of the column mounts probably won't hurt anything, but only do that as a last resort. The steering coupling is designed with the column at a certain height and you run the risk of having it operate out of line and wear abnormally.

Dave

Replacement dash pads are now available in several colors, though I have yet to see any being reproduced in that olive green. A lot of these cars with white interiors had black carpets and dash pads and the black pads are available.

Dave

Pretty sure Bob can make them in any stock color. My teal interior has black carpet, dash and headliner.

Everything looks outstanding! Great work!

CBODY67

The needle is affixed by a bolt and its height is adjustable. Did you adjust it?

My dash has no washers/spacers.

Car is starting to come together nicely. You can bend the indicator wand so that it is closer to the column if there is not enough adjustment, that should reduce the height of the wand so it does not rub. Might have to adjust the wand again after you do this so it is pointing at the proper gear indicator. Replacement dash pads are now available in several colors, though I have yet to see any being reproduced in that olive green. A lot of these cars with white interiors had black carpets and dash pads and the black pads are available. If you are not comfortable with bending the wand, a washer on either side of the column mounts probably won't hurt anything, but only do that as a last resort. The steering coupling is designed with the column at a certain height and you run the risk of having it operate out of line and wear abnormally.

Dave
Hi Tom and Dave. No, I did not know the height is adjustable. That's great info! Thanks. I will drop the column today and report back. I have some work to do out there anyway because I messed up my Park Neutral Starting Switch adjust too. It only starts with a jumper wire from ground to the starter relay park/neutral terminal. (BTW, snow on the ground, did not take test drive)

On the color, I'm with Gary Wollfen, I really don't like olive/avocado green interiors. Personal taste, I realize. I redid mine in black and white to go better with the Alpine White paint. The dash is supposed to be the last step in interior work for now.

Hi Dave. How would I know if I have P code non-standard interior. Is that on fender tag?

It will be listed on the build sheet in the block for the interior color code. Pretty common on cars with the teal interior. Most models did not offer buckets, such as the SFGT if ordered with the teal interior.

Dave

True That. The hardest thing was finding my 11/32 socket to fit the adjuster nut. I was almost forced to use metric!

I finally finished with the header trim panel. Here's a couple of pics. Took it out for it's first drive in over 2 months. :thumbsup: Setting up a radio antenna is all that remains. Seems a small chore compared redoing a dash.
20171222_132943.jpg

20171222_133017.jpg

I finally finished with the header trim panel. Here's a couple of pics. Took it out for it's first drive in over 2 months. :thumbsup: Setting up a radio antenna is all that remains. Seems a small chore compared redoing a dash.
View attachment 158079
View attachment 158080
Nice work my friend, looking very good. And dammit, I keep forgetting the antenna, I will make this happen! I do have one! Honest!

Back