NOT MINE 1970 Fury I two-door sedan Police Model

commando1

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Not mine :(
23 Barn-Find Mopars Part Of Texas Hoard To Be Auctioned!
040-1970-plymouth-fury-i-police-model.jpg

This 1970 Plymouth Fury I two-door sedan is Lot Item 273, and it's a real oddball. First off, it's a rarely seen Fury two-door sedan. Dig the fixed B-pillar; most two-door Furys were sleek hardtops of the Sport Fury and Sport Fury GT personal luxury variety, and this is a police unit. (The "K" in the second place of the PK21G0D268130 VIN is the police code.) A two-door police car—did they make them? Sure! It's often forgotten that since the advent of high-speed interstates and freeways in the early 1950s, law enforcement agencies deployed light, inexpensive V-8-powered two-door models to "intercept" speeders. Because issuing speeding tickets was the main task (not arresting hardened criminals), there was no need for a back seat or a second set of doors. In today's world of SUVs and crossovers, the popularity of two-door police cars is nonexistent. This one is fairly typical with its G-code (fifth spot of VIN) 318 two-barrel small-block. Its red-and-white paint scheme suggests it was a fire department unit and not a high-speed interceptor. According to the fender tag, options include B41 power front disc brakes, a D36 heavy-duty Torqueflite transmission, an F15 75-amp alternator (it's massive!), an F36 Unity articulated A-pillar spotlight, F38 roof light reinforcement, and Y39 special order (with a second fender tag stamped "special order"). That's the good news. The bad news is the 1973 Michigan license plate found inside the car. Having spent at least three years in the rust belt, the rear quarter panels have been repaired with plenty of plastic body filler, and rust-through has blossomed around the rear window. Inside, the cool 140-mph-certified speedometer and fleet-spec rubber floor complete the cop vibe, but the non-breathing floormat has probably trapped plenty of moisture and fostered rusty floors. With only 2,353 of these lowly Fury two-door pillar coupes built in 1970, we can assume that only a splinter of that total are PK21 law enforcement units. It's rare, it's rusty, but it deserves to live on.

This leaves me curious—do those laws apply to this auction, as well? Would someone bidding on this risk legal complications with the associated LEO hardware? Or is it old enough that no one would care?

Thanks for posting stan, I had a quick look but the lack of pictures kept me from proceeding further. Shame it's a small block.

only 2,353 of these lowly Fury two-door pillar coupes built in 1970, we can assume that only a splinter of that total are PK21 law enforcement units

In some of the production numbers I have seen for the Fury I 2dr sedans I have wondered if the numbers were for retail customers only ie. PE or if the PK numbers were included. I'd like to know the exact production numbers for the PK cars. I bet'cha it would be pretty high at least on the 4drs.

Guy that did the write-ups for that auction was very competent and knows his stuff pretty well. Remarkable for one of these events actually.

Guy that did the write-ups for that auction was very competent and knows his stuff pretty well. Remarkable for one of these events actually.

I looked through the auction after it was listed here. I was confused at the competency of the auction. The writer knew cars .

It was authored by Steve Magnante.

Once I saw that it was a Motor Trend article, I figured it was by him.

He does have a very broad knowledge base when it comes to vintage cars.

Jeff

My error!

It was written by Johnny Hunkins and Magnante took the photos.

Never heard of the guy, but he seems to know his Mopars.

Jeff

I'm not a Magnante fan. Hearing him at Carlisle at the Dodge display, on various videos and on TV I find him to be a dolt.
Many people feel the same way about me so it's easy to say.:lol:

Here he gives a likely explanation about the 60's babymoon hubcaps. (I've seen the babymoons on cars in sales brochures)

Here's the VIN for this car.

1970 Plymouth Fury I 2dr post PK21G0D268130.002.jpeg

I don't go along with the Fire Department line on this one, in the age of this car someone could have added the vinyl roof and painted it red.
A lot of other government agency's would classify for the PK fleet build with a other than police pursuit package engine, FBI, Military Police, Forestry & Parks etc.
Only the Fender Tag & Build Sheet will give you some clues.

this is the 1 i'd be bidding on !

I was looking at that one too.

Usually I hate when people cut up cars to make them shorties, but that one actually doesn't look all that bad. Someone did a nice job blending the door to the quarter, and it's surprising not to see any telltale signs of bodywork on that door. With the patina on the car, you would expect a heavier rust zone and maybe some bubbling bondo where the metal work was done.

Jeff

The 2,353 figure is for the total number of Fury I 2dr sedans built for 1970. Police and Taxi models were not included with civilian models, USA and Canada.

Production of Fury I 2dr sedans (not included with Police and Taxi) for U.S. market -
6 cylinder - 599
8 cylinder - 1,280
USA Market - 1,879
CDN Market - 474 (6 & V8)
Total Fury I - 1970 - 2,353

Production of Fury II 2dr Sedan for U.S. market -
6 cylinder - 81
8 cylinder - 20,988
Total USA market - 21,869
Total CDN market - 0
Total Fury II - 21,869

1970 Taxi 4dr Sedans for US market -
Six cylinder - 773
Eight cylinder - 989
Total Taxis (US market) - 1,762

1970 Police models for US market
2 door Sedan Patroller -
6 Cylinder - 25 / 8 Cylinder - 451 - Total : 476
4 door Sedan Patroller -
6 Cylinder - 4 / 8 Cylinder - 13,020 - Total : 13,024
4 door Wagon Patroller -
6 Cylinder - 4 / 8 Cylinder - 492 : Total - 496
Total Patroller models :
6 Cylinder - 33 / 8 Cylinder - 13,963 : Total - 13,966

Chrysler Canada offered police and taxi packages for the Canadian market and not separate Police and Taxi series. Thus all Police and Taxi sedans and wagons built were for the American market. Chrysler Canada also offered a Fury II 2dr hardtop - 2,044 built in the US and 780 built in Canada for a total of 2,824 sold in Canada.

A37 is for a Taxi Package and A38 for a Police Package. Have no idea if that is for the Canadian or American market. Would need a broadcast sheet for a Canadian market vehicle built in the U.S. Chrysler Canada produced snippets of broadcast sheets prior to 1971.

Also, all 2 door sedans and formal 2 door hardtops used the same roof as the 4 door hardtop.

Makes sense, I hope.

Bill
Vancouver, BC

Back