NOT MINE 1971 Plymouth Fury PA State Police 440, 11k miles, wrecked, $7500 Ono PA

PH27L7

Reaction score
A very sad mess with no title but a good time warp for engine pics.

1971 PLYMOUTH FURY STATE POLICE 440 SUPER COMMANDO ENGINE TRANSMISSION 11K 727 | eBay

Selling engine and transmission the rest of the car comes with. Here we have a unique 1971 Plymouth fury III ( white and green ) Pennsylvania state police car. This fury was wrecked in the early 70s' with only 11,578 miles and sold at the PA state sale and sat dormant in a private junkyard since. Equipped with the E85 440 super commando with 727 heavy duty automatic transmission. On top of being wrecked the car is rough from sitting out in the elements for decades as you can see in photos. The drivetrain is complete, looking at picture #11 down the oil fill cap you can see how clean it is. I tried turning the engine over but seems to have stuck from sitting, the water pump / fan / p/s pump / alternator and oil filter got damaged from the impact. Spark plug wires showing 3q-70 date code , i did notice the coil is missing. Block pad shows G440 on the pad. Block 2536430 date on the block first number I cannot make out but is ?/16/1970. The rear was pulled apart the center section in the trunk. Interior has been compromised due to the windshield being broke out. Has all the police options, remote trunk release. ground strap, fast idle cable, dual dome lights, ect. The right front rotor / hub is missing so there is only 3 rolling wheels.

1971 police 1.jpg
1971 police 2.jpg
1971 police 3.jpg
1971 police 4.jpg
1971 police 5.jpg

Thanks for posting especially for the under hood (power barn lol) pictures.

Nice example of a 71 dual snorkel air cleaner with the hump on the snorkel and in black which is correct for 71, but my memory was they were wrinkle finish.

1708392318897.jpeg

Question‘s for Police car guys:

was satin correct or wrinkle on Police?

Did police even have dual snorkel on 440 HP?

Is that Super Commando pie pan correct for Police? (Definitely in nice condition).

This was posted here back in May 2021:

Thanks I was still composing while you posted that. I went over and looked it over.

Appreciate the heads up.

sold at the PA state sale and sat dormant in a private junkyard since

I am never going to understand that as to why some people do that. The point being to let it sit decades?

@ tallhair
I don't have the answer.
But it would seem a better engineering choice to paint those aircleaners satin to save $ for lower-bid success.
Although painting them differently for police-only cars kinda negates the savings.

I read somewhere that HP bigblock copcars would get a single-snorkel if they were fitted with the larger Leece-Neville alternator, which this one does not appear to have. Can barely see the fins of a typical alternator.

I am never going to understand that as to why some people do that. The point being to let it sit decades?
For the first 10-15 years it was just a POS C-body and there were better examples to be had.
After that there were still better examples to be had.
And someone's life can have any number of events that cause a car to sit neglected.
Sometimes dreams go beyond one's time, talent, and money.
And even when it seems to be hopeless, they still can't let go.
And the owner might've restored 27 other/better cars during that period.

We just don't know.
And consider also that they could've given up and crushed it 20 years ago instead.

Thanks for posting especially for the under hood (power barn lol) pictures.

Nice example of a 71 dual snorkel air cleaner with the hump on the snorkel and in black which is correct for 71, but my memory was they were wrinkle finish.

View attachment 645144

Question‘s for Police car guys:

was satin correct or wrinkle on Police?

Did police even have dual snorkel on 440 HP?

Is that Super Commando pie pan correct for Police? (Definitely in nice condition).
According to the 1971 Police brochure, the standard performance 335hp 440 was dubbed the "Super Commando" with the dual snorkel air breather. The High performance 370hp 440 was named "Police Pursuit Special". I'd imagine that pie tin is correct. One thing I've always wondered, the HP440, did it come with or without a pie tin. If it had a pie tin, was it labeled "Police Pursuit Special"? I believe the police cars received the satin air breather, not wrinkle finished.
My '71 HP440 came factory with the dual snorkel.

Back